Starter Rebuild Kits? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Rebuild Kits?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
EB23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Starter Rebuild Kits?

Can the Bosch starter on a 94 YJ 4 banger be fixed with a rebuild kit or do you just have to buy a new one when it dies? I've been searching for rebuild kits but can't seem to find one anywhere, so I'm starting to guess its one of them 'no user serviceable parts' deals.

Just in case anyone wants to offer any other suggestions, the current symptoms are about 1 out of 3 starts the starter does nothing, so I put it in neutral, crawl under the Jeep, bang the starter on the side a few times then cross the contacts and repeat the process til the engine cranks. I've heard this referred to as a 'flat spot' but honestly don't know which part within the starter has this flat spot.

Looking at the prices of a new/rebuilt starter ($75-100) and then glancing in my wallet means no new starter til next payday, and my wife doesn't want to crawl under the Jeep if she needs to use it, so I'm hoping there is a low budget rebuild kit I can find to save some cash and my having to drive the wife everywhere for the next two weeks.

Thanks,
eb

Unread 06-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Usually, smacking the snot outa it to get it to work indicates there is a dead spot in the windings. This means new/rebuilt starter.

IJ

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

To do a proper rebuild you would need a growler to check the windings and a small lathe to turn the commutator.
You would need a new starter drive and it also has a planetary gear set that might have to be replaced and new bushings.
When you got all done you would most likely have the most expensive rebuilt starter on the planet.
When mine took a dump I just bought a new not rebuilt one because the first one lasted 16 years so the new one should last just as long.
With a rebuilt you never know just how long it will last and new isn't that much more than a rebuilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB23 View Post
Can the Bosch starter on a 94 YJ 4 banger be fixed with a rebuild kit or do you just have to buy a new one when it dies? I've been searching for rebuild kits but can't seem to find one anywhere, so I'm starting to guess its one of them 'no user serviceable parts' deals.

Just in case anyone wants to offer any other suggestions, the current symptoms are about 1 out of 3 starts the starter does nothing, so I put it in neutral, crawl under the Jeep, bang the starter on the side a few times then cross the contacts and repeat the process til the engine cranks. I've heard this referred to as a 'flat spot' but honestly don't know which part within the starter has this flat spot.

Looking at the prices of a new/rebuilt starter ($75-100) and then glancing in my wallet means no new starter til next payday, and my wife doesn't want to crawl under the Jeep if she needs to use it, so I'm hoping there is a low budget rebuild kit I can find to save some cash and my having to drive the wife everywhere for the next two weeks.

Thanks,
eb
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
EB23
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I'll be picking up a rebuilt one as soon as I scrape up some cash. For some reason the YJ eats about one starter every 3 years or so, not sure if it's something with the Jeep or if rebuilt starters are just getting crappier recently.
On the bright side I have my starting technique down pat now. First crossing the contacts then tapping with a hammer and I can get it fired up in about 5 seconds now.

eb
Unread 06-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's why I bought new instead of rebuilt a little more up front but cheaper in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB23 View Post
Looks like I'll be picking up a rebuilt one as soon as I scrape up some cash. For some reason the YJ eats about one starter every 3 years or so, not sure if it's something with the Jeep or if rebuilt starters are just getting crappier recently.
On the bright side I have my starting technique down pat now. First crossing the contacts then tapping with a hammer and I can get it fired up in about 5 seconds now.

eb
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Spend the money and go for the mean green or new like Pat said. I have the lifetime warranty at napa and have replaced 3 starters. Rebuilds are crap.
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I dunno. remanufactured starters seem to work ok for me. And for 70 bucks, I got a reman with a lifetime replacement warranty.

IJ

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well bully for you.
Will the lifetime warranty send a guy over to R&R it for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowajeepers View Post
I dunno. remanufactured starters seem to work ok for me. And for 70 bucks, I got a reman with a lifetime replacement warranty.

IJ
Unread 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah after you replace a starter on a road trip $70 doesn't seem like such a deal. Not all remans are built alike. I have had ones last years and some only months. I wish the would put it in and deliver it under the warranty. Is that asking too much?
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
reeves_yj_88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My 88 yj is having starter issues and I'm a little disappointed that rebuild kits aren't available. Every other car I've had a starter go on, I've always just bought the $20 rebuild kit, taken the armature to my mechanic to put on his growler for $10 and a coffee, and rebuilt that starter myself for about an hours worth of work and $30. I look at the price of a brand new starter vs a rebuild vs a rebuild kit and it's a no brainer. It's easy to do, certainly does not make for the worlds most expensive starter, and in my experience lasts as long as I own that car, which is usually a 2-4 year period. Can't say how long any of them actually lasted, but at least 2-4 years. My yj I plan on keeping for a while yet, but who knows if it can survive another 5 years of salty canadian roads. I'd rather pay $30 to rebuild it, then $300+ on a starter that will outlast the frame... Still have a ford ranger that i rebuilt the starter in 3 years ago now, no problems with it. If you can buy a rebuilt starter, you should be able to buy a kit containing the parts to rebuild it.
reeves_yj_88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
gbeltran
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-AMC-EAGLE-JEEP-CHEROKEE-J-SERIES-WRANGLER-/360401193587?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item53e995ca73
I've bought a few things from this company and haven't had any issues. While I didn't get my Jeep starter from them I did buy it off ebay about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. I realize the link is for a 6 cylinder but I'm sure they offer the 4 cylinder version as well.
gbeltran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.