Starter problems - electrical malfunctions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter problems - electrical malfunctions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
ruckerbo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Starter problems - electrical malfunctions

My starter sometimes runs while I'm driving. If I'm coming down a hill, or up to a stop, and I'm letting the engine brake me, the starter will begin to run, but the gear won't engage. It just spins non stop for about 10 or 15 seconds - sometimes I have to disconnect the battery or hit it with a hammer or something. It does this once or twice a month. Something is giving it the signal to run, and power to do so, when it shouldn't.

Also, under the same circumstances (engine braking at 2500-3000 RPM), my lights will sometimes flicker and dim very briefly, radio might cut out for a half second, and then it all comes back.

I'm rather stupid electrically, and I'm afraid there's something wrong in the wiring maybe. This all started when I replaced the starter about a year ago. It's installed correctly, and even if it was messed up, would that somehow affect the other systems as well?

'95
4cyl 2.5L
stock everything

ruckerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried removing your starter relay when this happens to see if the starter shuts down? If it does, then either the relay or something further up stream (ignition sw) may be at fault. If it continues to run and you are sure the brown wire is not shorting to anything, then first guess would be a bad starter with internal/intermittent short. Especially if smacking it causes it to stop. Weird though, that your starter does not engage the fly wheel when this happens. I would address this first, then worry about the lights if that problem remains after the starter issue has been fixed.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a stab here, but have you pulled the starter out and checked it? There could be a short that is allowing the motor to engage without the key. If my memory is correct, i believe the hot wire from the battery drives only the starter. If this is shorting out, it would cause the starter to spin, without engaging the flywheel.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.