Starter problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter problems

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
KBwithaJEEP

Starter problems

Ok, I'm not truely sure if the problem is linked to the starter or not.

My 258 '90 won't start. At first it would just click. But no head lights or any other electrical other than that. now nothing seems to be getting electricity. I was messing with the starter relay and it would then let the lights turn on but when I hit the ignition it would click and loose all power again. So I replace the relay and same thing... lights and power but the second I hit the ignition It goes out and just clicks once. When I had my dad helping me he said it seemed that the clicking noise came from the relay (which he was holding) if that even matters.

I;m at a total loss. Could it be the starter cylinoid gone bad or is it something else. My other thought is that maybe the plugs into the starter relay are bad and when i unplug and plug in it contacts for a second then looses it... if that makes sence even.

The jeep is out at my place of work.. so I'm heading out this afternoon after calling some ppl to see what I can find.. Any advice or help is great... I'm trying to avoid taking this to a shop at all costs but I think I'm loosing that battle fast.

P.S. The battery is fine and I checked that cables and clamps... even replaced some worn cable

KBwithaJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
bobbert350

hmm i had a similar problem but mine was from the battery terminals i no u said u replaced urs but maby they r bad or dont have a good conection..also can u jump it..lastly it may be ur neutral saftety switch..try starting it in neutral
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
KBwithaJEEP

will try... thanks for the input

I'll let you know how it goes
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
bobbert350

yea i had a similar problem with the neutral safety switch..also i no its a new battery but u may have got a lemon or somehting do u have a tester
bobbert350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Could try jumping from the battery to the starter bypassing the solenoid with some jumper cables - see if it kicks over then - be careful.
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
KBwithaJEEP

k found it... after running over every wire and redoing the positve off the batt. me and a friend say screw it, and replace the battery ground.... OMG it runs...

its a good thing i didn't notice that right away because a lot of that other wiring needed to be replaced anyway. Thanks for the advice... i looked over the battery wires twice and because of you guys looked over it a third... the ground is all messed up inside the covering. time took its toll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.