starter problems!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starter problems!!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Ok so the relay clicks...I should read everything before I post. Make sure you are in neutral and on the starter relay on the pdc use a 3" piece of wire and with the trans in neutral remove the relay and jump pin 30/87 in the relay socket. The pin diagram is on the side of the relay. This is just lime turning the key. Post if it starts.
Can he use a 3.5" inch of wire ? Does it matter what color the wire is ?

"Yup grounds are good I looked at them". Do you know what to look for ? Do you know where they are located ? How many terminals and how many wires are there ?

I am betting you have no clue.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstarr2288 View Post
I get 12 v at the ignition switch wire on the solenoid all the time
Ok. Maybe I am confused or missing something but I think that should only be hot when ignit key switch is in the start position? Not all the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Ok so the relay clicks...I should read everything before I post. Make sure you are in neutral and on the starter relay on the pdc use a 3" piece of wire and with the trans in neutral remove the relay and jump pin 30/87 in the relay socket. The pin diagram is on the side of the relay. This is just like turning the key. Post if it starts.
Ya, do this.

BTW- just noticed you are in Vermont! So there is another poor soul nearby me who's out to destroy a poor ol' YJ on our salty roads LOL
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

oh, and I am still putting my money on bad cable ends! I just went through this after putting a locally rebuilt starter in my '89. That salty road thing doesn't help-
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
ajstarr2288
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tried the jumper wire on pin 87 and 30 and nothing happened
Unread 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check power on those 2 pins.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #21
ajstarr2288
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So, tonight I replaced my terminals, cleaned my engine ground and the body ground. replaced my starter wire. Check wires for voltage had 12.5v at relay, had 12.5 volts at starter wire. Still no start. I tried bump starting it, (worked everytime) but nothing. My fuel pump is getting power, if that matters, all lights are working. Was convinced that the starter had an issue, but now not sure where else to look.
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #22
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok the only way to have power is if the relay is engaged. I asked you to measure pin 30/87 to see if there is power. The power to start votes through those 2. Check power On the starter with the relay out.
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
ajstarr2288
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when the key is on at pin 87/30 there is 12.5 v
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pm sent. Call me
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
JKNanook
2010 JK Wrangler 

Pull the starter/solenoid to test. It is easy two 3/8 star wrench (i think). and the two power connections, +12v battery and +12v from the ignition. Make sure you have a good battery and some jumper cables run the positive jumper to the post where the battery connection went and the negative jumper to the starter housing. Then with a screwdriver (with an insulated handle) or a piece of wire jump the ignition post to the positive post. If the starter extends and spins then the starter/solenoid are good. If it works that means you need to trouble shoot the rest. Have you tried switching relays? Like previously stated get a multimeter and check the voltages at the starter end of the connections for the battery and ignition. Also, like previously stated make sure your battery has a good charge.
JKNanook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The starter was bad. He replaced it and the problem is solved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.