Starter Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Problems?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Starter Problems?

My Jeep is cranking over slowly and sometimes won't start. I put a new battery in and that did not help. Once it starts it runs fine. Is the problem the starter or what else could it be?

Deserteagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserteagle2 View Post
My Jeep is cranking over slowly and sometimes won't start. I put a new battery in and that did not help. Once it starts it runs fine. Is the problem the starter or what else could it be?
Check your cables. This problem screams of a bad cable. You can test this by bypassing the cable from the battery to the starter with a jumper cable. Also jumper the battery negative to chassis ground. If it fires right up, then you proved the OEM Cable(s) is/are toast. These commonly become corroded within the shielding, and otherwise appear to be good. Corrosion can grow below the insulation and impede the current flow required to start the engine.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Deserteagle2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I will check that, my cables are original I think.
Deserteagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Shalayko94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Check your ground straps too, especially the strap from the firewall to block.
Shalayko94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Same symptoms my starter had before it failed all together. Sounds like the motor on it is going out.

Run a volt-meter check from the positive and negative nodes of the starter. That will tell you if it's a bad ground/cable or a bad starter.

With the key on, if your getting 12 volts at the starter then your starter is on it's way out the door....

It's very easy to replace. Be sure to take it off first before going to the parts store so you get the core discount. I paid 60 bucks for mine at Autozone. But the Autozone rebuilds are pretty crappy. If you can let the jeep sit for a few days maybe order a good one from Napa or something.

You will need a 3/8 in. drive star socket to remove the bolts. I purchased a small set at Autozone and it had the correct size. You have to remove one of the bellhousing inspection plate bolts also but that one is a standard. Tap your socket driver up nice and tight with a rubber mallet before you losen the 2 starter bolts. You do NOT want to strip those or you will turn a easy starter swap into a nightmare...lol

Last edited by sloan74; 08-03-2010 at 07:05 AM..
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my starter was doing the same befor it crapped out on me. took mine to checker and even though it passed it was verry verry week. got a new starter and problem solved.
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Before pulling your starter it is important to disconnect your battery.

You probably knew that. The one time I forgot, wow what a mess. Scary too.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.