Starter not working. Green wire broke off and was under my jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter not working. Green wire broke off and was under my jeep

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Jacoblytleyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Starter not working. Green wire broke off and was under my jeep

So the other day my starter quit working. I started it and the went to work and when I got back in my jeep it didn't start. I found a green wire with a white stripe underneath my jeep. I looked and saw that the little wire on my starter was broke off ( the little one on the solenoid ). Does anybody know where where it plugs into after being bolted on the solenoid? And will this make my starter work or not? Oh yeah and I jumped the terminals and my starter spun but didn't engage.

Last edited by Jacoblytleyj; 08-15-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Jacoblytleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

The green/white stripe comes from pin 87 of your starter relay which is located in the PDC.

Yes you will have to join it back together or use a GM 56 terminal and open up the PDC and replace the entire circuit.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Jacoblytleyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention one end looks like it plugs into something and I found a wire with a plug in on it and it was green and white
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

That is a simple GM Weatherpack single connector. Most but not all 91-95`s have them.

Available on line or a a GOOD parts store. AA or AZ will not have them. Napa does.
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Jacoblytleyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just put a new end on that wire and bolted it to the starter and plugged it into the other green and white and it fired right up!
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Yes you can splice another wire and terminal and achieve results. Won`t be factory but it does work.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #7
Jacoblytleyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks gonna go buy a connecter tomorrow thanks for the fix!! It starts again no more push starting lol
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This thread is funny as I was just playing with that wire, I'm going to split it and run it through a switch in my cab for a kill switch. The more I get done on my restoration the more it's starting to look like something to attract thieves.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
This thread is funny as I was just playing with that wire, I'm going to split it and run it through a switch in my cab for a kill switch. The more I get done on my restoration the more it's starting to look like something to attract thieves.
Running a kill switch for your starter is a waste of time and does not do much. You want a kill switch for the motor. Let the thief crank the motor all he wants with no start.

My kill switch idea is to place a switch on the clutch pedal. He can start the motor but as soon as he pushes the clutch the motor dies. Will confuse the hell out of the thief thinking that your rig is not running right and hopefully he will not stick around.

With this kill switch you can go into 7-11 and leave you rig running. Nobody can steal it.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a simple switch wired through a sensor and a magnetic reed switch. The starter is usueless because the jeep is so easy to push start. x2 with Paisinbuy with the starter. If you want PM me and I will discuss a way of doing a kill switch that takes 1 wire and will totally stop it from ever starting without messing around with any power wires.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up guys! no use spending time doing something that won't be effective.
Reno72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.