starter life expectancy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > starter life expectancy

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

starter life expectancy

I was wondering what the average life expectancy on your starter for your jeep is i just replaced my second one on my jeep and the one i replaced was 14 months old (thank goodness for a lifetime warranty). I know i am hard on it since i drive in all the salt and mud and freezing cold temp. all the time but it seems like an awfully short time comparing it to other vehicles in this area that are fine.
So I'm wondering if it is a normal amount of time and if not what can be done to prolong the life of a starter from the elements?

Unread 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

mine is at least 4 yrs old.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
J33Pyj
1995 ZJ 

i'm pushing 4yrs now
90 yj/ 4:88 gears/33x12.50x15 Super Swamper TRXUS Mud Terrains/K&N air system/2.5L/D30front aussie equip'd/D35 rear / 3in BL/ 2in shackle lift / XRC8 Winch

If you havent broken it, you havent been wheelin
J33Pyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Still have the original - going on 23 years

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well judging by everyones profile info im guessing you guess do a bit more off roading than me do you ever do anythig special for it or just let it go...it is possible i got a bad one too
Unread 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comancheklein View Post
well judging by everyones profile info im guessing you guess do a bit more off roading than me do you ever do anythig special for it or just let it go...it is possible i got a bad one too
My original was 20 yrs old when it finally went. I know the PO wheeled a LOT harder than I do. So I think maybe you just got a flakey one. I got the Autozone lifetime , looked identical to my old one, and no probs ever since.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i got the advanced auto lifetime warranty and a stick so no real worries
Unread 12-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is 20+ years old with over 79,000 offroad miles on it (not counting street/hwy miles).
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

20 years on mine so far. Probably just got a junk starter. Any idea how old the first one was?
WindsorRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the po replaced mine with a bosch one and im not positive on how old it is but when i wiped it off it looked bran new. ive had the jeep for about a year now and its starting to go on me
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The productions are life testing for 100,000 start stop cycles if that gives you any idea of life expectancy. Many poeple here have had issues with life expectancy and the cheap Chinese Walmart type crap that has been flooding the market.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Fill them with off roading water one time and even a brand new starter may never work again. A little bit of silt (which is present in all 4-wheeling water) is all it takes to kill one.

Have an engine problem and lean on the starter til the battery is dead, it may never work again. You only have to overheat them one time to put ten years of wear on the internals.

Run around with a chronically low battery and jump start repeatedly, same deal. If you know what Ohm's law is then you know as voltage drops, amperage rises. High amperage creates heat that harms electric motors, so cranking at 10V regularly will shorten lifespan by years.

Lot of variables here but if you're wheeling anywhere wet you can't expect normal lifespan
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The productions are life testing for 100,000 start stop cycles if that gives you any idea of life expectancy. Many poeple here have had issues with life expectancy and the cheap Chineese Walmart type crap that has been flooding the market.
Que,-
Speaking of which, do you have any idea how to get the actual parts, without resorting to the dealer? I mean genuine Bosch either new or reman. That kind of thing. Its been almost impossible for me to find them.

Case in point was my fuel pump, nobody had ever heard of it. Its larger than the YJ pump they all have in their books. Crosses with NAPA #P74155. And Bosch doesn't list it anywhere - when I typed the Bosch number into google, there was exactly *two* results!

Same for the relays. And senders. And starter. Not sure what the alt is, is it a Nippon Denso? I want to swap my alt for a one-wire GM.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #14
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

If you want longevity avoid one wire alternators, they've got notoriously short lifespans. The original nippon denso is a very good alternator. Later V8 truck and grand cherokee applications have the same mounting ears and use 90 amp on base models.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
planedog
1994 YJ Wrangler 

These starters will last almost indefinitely and if it quits it is almost certainly because the brushes are worn out. Replacing the brushes is a very simple process and you can get the brushes easily on the internet or simply go to a local starter/generator repair shop, they will have them in stock and will replace them for you really cheap, it only takes 10 minutes. This starter was used on a LOT of different vehicles.
planedog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.