Starter drag - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter drag

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Starter drag

I'll try to keep this short and to the point...
When i start my jeep the starter drags especially if its warmed up. I've replaced the battery, starter and battery cable ends.
I disconnected the wire from the starter to the ignition switch and ran a jumper from the 12v switched post on the starter directly to the battery.
With the ignition key in the off position, when i touch the jumper wire to the battery it turns over easily and all day long.
With the ignition key moved to the on position, when i touch the jumper wire to the battery it drags down again.
Any ideas?

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
yoyoyo109
1995 YJ Wrangler 

when the ignition is switched to start (not on, off or accessory) all power from the car is cut and the battery is solely powering the starter. thats why starting a car turns off the radio for example. power is diverted to start the car. that would explain why it is dragging down when the car is switched to on

has it ever not started or left you stranded until you kept turning the ignition?
yoyoyo109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think I described my problem very well - when I say drag I mean it really drags like its not going to start, sometimes I have to let off the key and try several times before it does start. Sometimes it makes an awful binding noise as well but again doesn't do it when I jump the 12v switched post straight to the battery with the ignition off

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
Unread 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yoyoyo109 after rereading your post I get what your saying but me using the jumper wire is an attempt at diagnosing what is causing it to drag under normal starting procedures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.