Starter Bolt Replacements - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Starter Bolt Replacements

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Starter Bolt Replacements

Anyone know of a good replacement bolt for the Starter Bolts? Or a source for new OEM bolts? They seem to have a unique design, anyone know why?

thanks

Craig

91 YJ, 94 2.5 engine

az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Home Depot (or your favorite local hardware store)
replace with regular hex head... if I remember correctly, it's a 3/8 thread, but I forget the length off the top of my head
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just go to a JY?
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymartin View Post
Why not just go to a JY?
Because you can get high grade stainless steel bolts from a hardware store for cheaper, and a lot easier.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Note sizes (or head markings) - often, one of them will be 3/8"-16, the other M10-1.5. Take them in and match them up - any hex head or socket head capscrew should be fine.

I would consider the use of threadlocker (LocTite #242 or equivalent) to be mandatory. Nothing like having a starter motor screw work loose, and the starter motor pinion won't engage with the ring gear anymore...
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The threads are 3/8-16 coarse thread, not sure about the length. You could probably buy 3" or 4" and just cut it down as needed. Or even make some out of threaded rod.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Have the bolts with me, for sure they are 3/8-16 X 4". Think I'll run lock washers on them.

Any idea why they have the knurled section by the top of the treads?

cb
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

We need to watch what we say. Not all YJs have 3/8" bolts for both starter mounting bolts. It depends on the starter. The one bolt that threads into the bell housing is almost always 3/8" but the bolt that threads into the starter itself can vary. I have found more starters with metric M10-1.5 thread than with standard 3/8". The 3/8" bolt WILL thread into an M10-1.5 bolt hole, but when torqued properly or when it takes on a load from the starter engaging has a high probability of stripping out. I know this because it happened to me. It's kinda embarrassing to have to jack up your starter with a bottle jack in the parking lot to get the starter to engage after the top bolt strips out.

Best idea is to walk your starter into the hardware store and try a 3/8" and an M10-1.5 in the threads and see which one fits best. Like I said more times than not an M10 will fit better.

Also the 4" length is kinda long I think mine are only 1.25" or 1.50" long.

I don't suggest buying longer bolts and cutting them down unless you have a grinder to take the sharp edge off the threads after cutting. Cut threads are really easy to cross thread.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't think of that.... then again, there HAVE been a bunch of changes. like the one above that said one was rather short (1.25-1.5) and threaded into the starter.

mine were both 3/8, both were long but different (like 4" and 5" or something like that)

best bet, take both out and get a ride (or drive your other vehicle if you have one) to the hardware store to match diameter/thread/length. I wouldn't bother with lock washers, but I WOULD use threadlocker (I used red, but blue should be ok if that's all you can find)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know this because it happened to me. It's kinda embarrassing to have to jack up your starter with a bottle jack in the parking lot to get the starter to engage after the top bolt strips out.
I had this same problem, where the thread was stripped out of the bell housing. In my case what I did was, replaced the bolt with a stud and then cross-drilled through the bell housing and stud and drove in a roll pin. It's been good for a couple years now and I didn't have to pull the trans to do it.
I know this isn't the OP's issue, but since the subject came up I thought I'd toss it out there as a cheap easy fix.
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegad87 View Post
We need to watch what we say. Not all YJs have 3/8" bolts for both starter mounting bolts. It depends on the starter. The one bolt that threads into the bell housing is almost always 3/8" but the bolt that threads into the starter itself can vary. I have found more starters with metric M10-1.5 thread than with standard 3/8". The 3/8" bolt WILL thread into an M10-1.5 bolt hole, but when torqued properly or when it takes on a load from the starter engaging has a high probability of stripping out. I know this because it happened to me. It's kinda embarrassing to have to jack up your starter with a bottle jack in the parking lot to get the starter to engage after the top bolt strips out.

Best idea is to walk your starter into the hardware store and try a 3/8" and an M10-1.5 in the threads and see which one fits best. Like I said more times than not an M10 will fit better.

Also the 4" length is kinda long I think mine are only 1.25" or 1.50" long.

I don't suggest buying longer bolts and cutting them down unless you have a grinder to take the sharp edge off the threads after cutting. Cut threads are really easy to cross thread.
He has the same year, etc. as mine - there are 2 bolts that go vertically into the block, (similar to chevy or ford) which is *all* imperial threads. They don't thread into the starter at any point. Nor into the bellhousing. Some older CJ's and 4.2's do this however with the Motorcraft style system. I assume that people know enough to deburr a cut bolt with a file or some such.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, if anybody needs a couple of starter bolts, 3/8-16 X 4" long, I ended up going to McMaster car to get flange bolts and had to buy 10. I'll give you 2 bolts for a beer if our paths should ever cross. They are grade 8 also.

PM me if you need them.

Craig

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.