Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #46
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

In addition to getting the correct Torque Converter this morning, I also got the new Push Rods. So they were installed, and I pumped oil around through the engine after installing them. I then added the comp cams break-in additive and the rest of the oil and pumped some more oil around before installing the exhaust and intake. Unfortunately one of the apparently already cracked exhaust studs broke on me, so I'll have to get a new one. Need to finish the transmission line installation, radiator and wiring, then perhaps I can start the engine and do the break-in running before letting it set while I do the body repairs.

Will

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #47
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Darn Will, do you paint the floor before every photo shoot.

How about a favor. A picture of the adjustable push rod tool, or just bring it with you on Saturday.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #48
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bill,

No i do sweep often, but the floor is dirty, even though it doesn't show in the picture. Here is the adjustable push rod:

Mines the style on the Left.

I can bring it on Saturday if you wish, let me know.

Will
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #49
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the picture, thanks, but not necessary to bring it Saturday.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #50
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not as much progress as I should have this afternoon. I did pickup the replacement exhaust manifold stud, and installed it. I also finished the brake line work. Ended up making both rear axle brake lines rather than just the one that was partially damaged. I also replaced the two brake lines between the Master Cylinder and the Proportioning Valve. Connected the front hoses next, then proceeded to bleed the system. I have the worst luck bleeding brakes, and this time is no exception. The power brake bleeder, as usual isn't as good as they claim. It leaks, at least this time it didn't leak so bad I couldn't get the brakes bleed. The only bleeding valve I can't get to open is the one on the drivers front side, may have to replace the caliper before it's over, bit will wait till I can drive the Jeep and see how the brakes are working. Next I proceeded to assemble the A/C compressor into the On-Board Air Compressor. I'm using a 450F Synthetic great by John Deere inside to keep it lubricated. It's a little work to not only install the pistons back in properly, but to get enough grease in and all the remaining parts installed. But it's all together and ready for the coil and pulley next.

Will
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #51
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Will, is this the kind of bleeder that goes on the top of the master cylinder, or a vacuum type that attaches to the bleeder?

I have a idea, I saw this when I worked at a gas station in high school.

Basically it's a 1/4" plate cut a 1/2" bigger than the master cylinder. A male air fitting is fitted to the top either by drilling and tapping, or welded on. A large "C" clamp and old gasket is used to hold the tool on the cylinder. I believe 3 lbs. of air pressure was used when the air line was connected.

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Will, is this the kind of bleeder that goes on the top of the master cylinder, or a vacuum type that attaches to the bleeder?

I have a idea, I saw this when I worked at a gas station in high school.

Basically it's a 1/4" plate cut a 1/2" bigger than the master cylinder. A male air fitting is fitted to the top either by drilling and tapping, or welded on. A large "C" clamp and old gasket is used to hold the tool on the cylinder. I believe 3 lbs. of air pressure was used when the air line was connected.

Bill
Bill,

It's a Motive Products Power Bleeder, and back when I first bought it they used a plastic adapter that never worked. When I worked on the '46 Power Wagon, I got feed up and contacted Motive. There was a newer Aluminum Bleed cover that should work, so they shipped it to me. It worked on on the PW, but when I sued it on the Jeep, it leaked between it and the MC casing. the plastic deflected too much, and I think the aluminum might as well, but they need to use more pliable seal material in my opinion. The Motive uses 15-20 psi, and when it doesn't leak works well.

Will
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #53
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after a couple days of yard work, I got a little more done on the Jeep. I've installed the rest of the front of the engine and the radiator. I also started fitting the exhaust and welded in the Air/Fuel Ration O2 Sensor bung as well. The grill is installed just to keep the radiator out of the fan while I break-in the cam when I start the engine up soon. I've also got the engine wiring harness mostly installed as well. I've prepped and Installed the transfer case, that is all except the lower mounting nut. I'll have to unbolt the drive train and jack it up off the skid plate to access it enough to tighten it down. The transfer case is one I picked up from a fellow MIJC member that had a SYE kit already installed. The read drive shaft needs a little cleaning and a new U-Joint, but should work fine. With the Jeep setting as is, I have 3" of the slip joint engauged. I also mocked up a little more of the exhaust. I will have to finish the tail pipe after the body is installed, and it looks to need a little adjustment and the end will have to be modified to keep it from getting destroyed while hanging out the rear.

Will
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #54
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spent some time this afternoon, welding the exhaust extension, tightening up the remaining transfercase bolt, filled the transfercase and radiator. I then proceeded to pull the necessary internal wiring harness, gauge clusters, and steering wheel and hooked them up on the chassis. It took a little to discover I missed connecting the smaller firewall connector, but once it was connected I had full power and could crank the engine over. I primed the fuel system, and will do one more check over and a few other odds and ends before I roll it out and try to start it tomorrow afternoon.

Will
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #55
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A quick picture of Will's 1953 M-37.

image-3541662479.jpg

There's only 5 lugs on this thing, they are 3/4" studs and need a 1.5" socket

Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #56
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

First, a big THANKS to Bill Gangloff (lucdog) a fellow MIJC member. Bill drove down from Peoria to see me start the engine up. He spent more time on the road than he did here, but am I glad he came. Turns out I apparently did get the distributor 180 out of time. Either when I did the initial install, or when I primed the lifters, or when I pre-lubed the engine. Doesn’t matter what, I did it.

After it didn’t initially start, we checked for fuel and spark and had both. We re-checked all the connections, and tried a few more times before checking the timing. With the use of an engine pressure tester, we determined it was out 180. So I proceeded to correct it. Still didn’t start, so after some more checking, we discovered I was one tooth off on the distributor timing. Once more I pulled and re-installed the distributor, and we tried again. She started up and ran great.

Now we cranked up the RPM to the required 2,000 RPM, and started looking and checking everything over. Had a momentarily over 210 water temperature that caused us to lower the RPM, but it corrected itself and was likely an air bubble, as it didn’t happen again.

About half way through the cam break in, the engine developed a miss. The Air Fuel Ration started jumping with each miss. I suspect it might be due to the old stock spark plugs, and will install a new set of lower temperature plugs when I change out the break in oil and see if it returns. If it does I’ll have to start checking the new injectors and plug sires for problems. Almost everything is new, including the distributor, cap, wires, injectors, sensors, etc… So with the new Plugs it must be a faulty part, something I did incorrectly.

While it was running did add additional transmission fluid, and will likely need a little more when I get a chance to run it through the gears. It now has 9.5 quarts, and I believe with the deep pan should hold 10+ quarts.

It’s great to have it running with all the work and parts, and after the oil and plug change and one little exhaust change, I should be ready to start working on the tub.

VIDEO - Initial run of my Stroked 4.6L Jeep Engine
VIDEO - Miss developed during Cam break-in on my Stroked 4.6L Jeep
VIDEO - Slight Miss started about halw way through the cam break-in
VIDEO - Starting and running my Stroked Jeep 4.6L Engine

Will
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #57
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

WOW, Will, awesome thread!

What's your thoughts on me making a copy of this thread and adding it to the Advanced Jeep Tech section? Naturally, you'd have to update each thread if you decided to have me do it.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #58
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
WOW, Will, awesome thread!

What's your thoughts on me making a copy of this thread and adding it to the Advanced Jeep Tech section? Naturally, you'd have to update each thread if you decided to have me do it.
THANKS Joe! Sure I could keep two updated. I keep my WEB site updated at the same time as well as my threads on the MIJC and Strokers site, so one more is no problem. Just let me know when it's done and the thread link. Again THANKS for the help and the great site.

Will
My "Transmission Job" & Stroker Build (My WEB Site)
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #59
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My pleasure Will.

Here's the link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...rhaul-1432971/
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #60
ThomasYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Will,

This rebuild is GREAT! Just went through all 4 pages. Subscribed!
ThomasYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.