Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #181
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The power that Will has is impressive.
I was more impressed that he did not break the Dana 35!
I got nailed in the head with some of that mud you were slinging!

Unread 07-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #182
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Tom, yea I was real impressed with the power, especially since considering I was spinning the 33's with 3.07 gears. The 3.07's are what probably saved the axle shafts, and that I stayed out of it as much as possible.
W_A_Watson_II is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #183
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I should have ridden with you Will, just to watch the speedometer to see how fast the tires were spinning. I got hit by debris from the tires from 30' away. And chest high to boot.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #184
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bill, 5K RPM should be around 58 MPH, I guess I should have mounted a camera to watch the gauges and out the windshield to capture the fun, oh well next time. It does seem to spin the 33's nicely, I' can't get the 39's to spin that well in my V-8 Powered M.
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #185
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, after 2 weeks and 1 day I have my YJ back. The transmission started having a shift problem, starting off in 1st, when in Drive, as well as the shift lever no longer having a positive detent feel. Took the Jeep the the shop that rebuilt the transmission for me, and said the problems were covered under the warranty, but as I had done the removal and re-install before I'd have to pay for that. Turns out I was glad I let them do it, as they had to pull and re-install the transmission three times! Initially they found that the 2nd gear shift bad had one of the end brackets rivets give, and let the other end's part fall free. Once that was fixed, the transmission was re-installed, only to have a leak in the front. So out it came for the 2nd time, and no bad seals, but a lot of assembly lube was present, so every thing was checked and re-assembles and installed. The leak was still present, further investigation showed that the back side of the flywheel was covered in fluid. Indicating a crack/leak in the torque converter. So out the transmission came for a third time, and a new torque converter was installed, as well as to be sure all was good in the pump, it was pulled and rebuilt again. Now all seems good, picked it up today and except for a 2-3 shift flare that they believe will work out with use, it's back to running great. The shifter was once again finding and I could feel the shift position indents'. RJ at the trans shop said that he found the shift lever pivot arm had more play that it should and said I should replace the bushing. I'd not noticed the play in the pivot when I rebuilt it Jeep, but pulled the linkage out and found the pivot point wore thru some, so out came it's pivot bracket, and found an oblonged hole. So I welded and filed the shaft, then decided with the 1" body lift I'd drill a new hole about 1" higher than the old one to better level the pivot point. Well, the shift arm then interfered wit the bracket. So I welded up the old and new holes in the bracket and drilled a new one only ~1/2" higher, and clearance the bracket a little to ensure no interference. It's all back in, and except for the slop in the government motors column, the shifter feels so much better than it ever has.

Unread 11-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #186
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got the on-board-air compressor hoses made and installed. The compressor works great, and with the hand throttle with the engine setting at ~2K rpm, it supplies plenty of air. Leaks down from about 115 psi to 90 in about two hours, so I have a small leak some place. I still need to install the arming switch and wire (will change to a power rather than grounding wire), as well as getting a inlet air filter.

Picked up a Ford 8.8 rear axle out of a 1998 Ford Explorer. It's outfitted with 3.73 LS gears, (code D4, a 3200# disc brake axle). I started stripping it, and opened up the case, and found the usual black stinky gear oil. No water, and not looking too bad inside. The gears all look good. There is however 0.050 in ring gear backlash (spec is 0.008-0.015), and about .012 in pinion fore aft play. Feels like almost no pinion bearing preload, so with the end play, I'll have to re-torque the pinion flange bolt. I'll also have to re-shim the ring gear to get it's backlash within specification. The limited slip clutches seems to be good and tight.

Now to some decisions and parts planning. I'll by new rotors, pads, calipers, hoses, etc... ( new proportioning vale and improved master cylinder) as well as of course clean and paint everything. I'll also cut off the old spring perches, as I'll need to realign them in both width and rotation to get the proper pinion angle. With staying with a spring under suspension, and not having to use pinion alignment shims, I'll only loose about 1/8" in rear height with the larger diameter axle tubes on the 8.8.

The question is, why 3.73's, why not 4.10's? My thoughts are with the automatic, and a 4.6L engine producing ~240 HP & 315 ft.lbs. of torque (33% more HP & 43% more Torque than stock) I should have plenty of power and torque multiplication. The stock YJ with 3.07 gears and tires (215/75R15) ran with a crawl ration of 20.46:1 and at 55MPH the engine was turning about 2,048RPM. With the 3.73's and the 33" tires, the crawl ration will be 24.86:1 and at 55MPH the engine would be spinning about 2,088RPM. So even without all my extra power I'll have a little better crawl ratio and slightly higher engine RPM. With a torque converter multiplier of 2 (single stator TC), my crawl ration would be 49.72 to compare to a manual setup. I've seen people say the best ration from as low as 50, to as high as 85, with a few wanting 100 or higher. My M has a ratio of 76.3:1. 4.1 gears would only give me a craw ratio of 27.32:1, while s3.73's with a 4:1 transfer case would yield 36.55:1 (very close to the effective ratio of my M).

So my thought is to stay with the 3.73's and if I need a slower crawl ratio, upgrade to a 4:1 low range transfer case. I'll also be looking to install a new set of 2" lift springs to give myself a little more ground clearance, I already have a 1" body, and 1/2" in boomerang shackles as well as liberal wheel well openings. I may even stretch the rear axle back about 1" with the new axle spring perches.

Unread 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #187
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would stay with the 3.73's. if your not happy with them put the 4 to 1 case in.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #188
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bill, looking at the cost of 4.1's and 3.73's as I can pick up a carrier with 4.10's for the Dana 30 cheaper than I can get the carrier, so it might be cheaper to go 4.10's over 3.73's.

I spent a little time this morning doing the switch install and wiring. I trimmed out the switch plate that held the hard top wiper/washer switches, and opened up the third hole where I had a small temporary driving light switch. I then installed the three switches (one for compressor arming, and two for lights). Next came the wiring. I wired them so the dash lights activated the switch lower light, and I also switched the air compressor to arm with a power wire, rather than a ground wire (so I would not run the battery down). Once the wiring was done, the switches were installed and tested. They work great. They are the same OTRATTW switches I used in my Dodge M37. The left switch arms the Air Compressor, the right switch turns on my bumper mounted driving lights. The center switch, is wired to under the hood, but currently doesn't do anything, I'll need to decide what additional lights I'll install to use it for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.