JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/started-transmission-job-well-ok-complete-stroked-overhaul-1411469/)

W_A_Watson_II 08-29-2012 08:34 PM

Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul

Well yesterday the Jeep Transmission gave up the battle, not gradually, but all at once. I knew it was not in good shape but didn't expect it to go all at once. I think it's actually the Torque Converter that bit the dust. I didn't make it home, but did cost the Jeep into my buddies Body Shop Parking Lot. I went back with the Trailer and brought the Jeep home to start the "Transmission Job". I will not only rebuild the tranny, but the motor and do the needed body repairs. I've looked at how I want to "tube" my front fenders. I plan on using 1" square tube rather than the normal round. It should go well with the YJ's square design. Made good progress and spent 7 hours on disassembly.

HurricaneRZA 08-29-2012 08:41 PM

Good luck with the tear down/rebuild! I love the idea for those flat fenders too. I'm interested in how they turn out :2thumbsup:

Doch80 08-30-2012 07:54 AM

:PopCorn:

Louie4 08-30-2012 08:06 AM

Nice work. I am interested to see how the fenders turn out. My PS fenders are bent/rolled 3/16" steel and they are squared. It may give you some ideas how the square looks. Mine are tapered towards the grill as well.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSC05321.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSC05311.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSC05307.jpg

tdij 08-30-2012 06:30 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the fenders. I am planning custom tube(square) fenders with removable flares front and rear.

I like the PS fenders using the square tube, but I intend to resist the temptation to roll or bend it at all... and really own the defined lines and edges. I try not to round anything unnecessarily on my YJ. I'd hate for it to start blending in with all the TJ's :D

W_A_Watson_II 08-30-2012 08:40 PM

Hey, THANKS for the Ideas on the Fenders, I like that and will follow something similar I think. :2thumbsup:

Between yesterday and the few hours I got in today, I sure hate Torx Screws even more than I did when I did the Tub Swap on the CJ. Now I've for to go buy some new T27's and T45's. I've got the grill shell off, the Dash out, the back stripped (except one stubborn hinge) and everything disconnected from the tub, except the fuel take wires. I don't know who the contortionist was that designed the YJ's dash, but I sure do lie the CJ's dash even more. Just don't want to give up my defrosters to make the switch. I sure (know) I took some things off of the dash that I didn't need to get it out, but at least it's out and hopefully I will have a much easer job in getting it back in. The only things left before i remove the tub is the 10 body bolts, the fuel pump/gauge wires, and i believe an exhaust hanger. I'll do a little rear tub corner mount fixes before I pull the tub though.

W_A_Watson_II 09-01-2012 04:55 PM

Started out today with a little examination of the rear tub mounts and the body repair needed. It looks like I will have to do the repair off the frame as the left rear tub mount has rusted so bad it's settled.

Next I decided to do the start of the Fuel Pump Access Panel cut out. Based on others designs and some investigation I decided to cut mine out 7" wide and 7.5" long.

The forward cut was at the "normal" 14" from the gate seal surface. However if I was to do it again, I'd cut it at 13-7/8" so as to miss cutting the forward tub hat section.

I'll place some metal under the tub and rework the rear tub hat section so I can screw the panel back in place, providing future access to the fuel pump should it be needed.

Next came the final disconnecting the tub bolts and a few last connections so I could remove the tub. I lifted the tub off using the engine hoist, just as I've done before with the CJ Tub Swap and Power Wagon.

With the Tub off, next I tackled removing the drive shafts and transfer case. then came the removal of the wiring harness, man what a mess of routing around the engine compartment. After that I removed the radiator in preparation for starting the engine disassembly.

W_A_Watson_II 09-03-2012 08:31 AM

Well, started Sunday afternoon off by cleaning up the remaining transmission fluid that came out of the cooling lines. What a mess burnt tranny oil makes.

Next came the engine disassembly. First the manifolds, and I'm glad I'm taking them off with the fenders out of the way. Next came the head.

Cylinder walls look good, but a some carbon build up on the pistons and heads/valves.

Up to about 20 hours into the job now.

W_A_Watson_II 09-04-2012 07:46 PM

Well, I pulled the Transmission and then the Torque Converter. If you move the TC around you can hear a rattle, and take a look inside the transmission hole, I see loose parts. So I'm sure the TC is shoot.

I then pulled the Engine and finished disassembling it. WOW, were the Connecting Rod bearings shoot, and the crank was grooved. The cam looked like it was toasted and it's bearings were shoot as well. Good thing I didn't just fix the known problem, the head.

I've loaded the block, head and intake to take to the machine shop for cleaning and inspection. I've also loaded up the Transmission and Torque Converter to take them to the shop as well.

I'm now up to 24 hours of work into the job.

Hard_oNe 09-05-2012 01:42 AM

You've done this before. :popcorn:

Sent from my mobile thingy using the JeepForum thingy.

W_A_Watson_II 09-05-2012 10:03 AM

1st time this for on a Jeep, the other Jeep job was a Tub Swap on a CJ. The other time this for (and further) was on my Dodge M37.

W_A_Watson_II 09-22-2012 06:05 PM

Progress is back on. Still waiting on the Block, Head and Transmission shops. I've now been able to wash the frame (water band lifted) and made some necessary frame repairs. Having done a 1" body lift, I've also did a rear fuel tank 1" tuck to gain better departure angles. The Head is complete with the new Hesco springs and everything, the transmission should be done tomorrow, and with the snafu on cam bearing order behind me the Block should be ready in the next day or two. Next is to install the necessary brake lines and then apply some paint in preparation for the engine and tranny when they are done.

dvr6 09-22-2012 06:24 PM

Subscribed. :2thumbsup:

seattle_yj 09-22-2012 10:06 PM

yes! your garage rocks btw. is that a fire truck in the back ground?

W_A_Watson_II 09-23-2012 07:18 AM

Seattle YJ,

Thanks, and yes it is, a W500 Dodge Power Wagon Fire Truck.

Will

The time now is 02:55 PM.