Started my tire carrier I want your thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Started my tire carrier I want your thoughts

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Started my tire carrier I want your thoughts

Hey guys started my swing away tire carrier. I started my project with a budget of 10 dollars due to the fact that I have moths flying out of my wallet. The pictures are what I got done today. The bumper I made a while ago but never got around to finishing the tire carrier. So everything from the bumper up is new. Supplies so far have cost me 0$ I went with a different idea hoping it would be stronger than the single hinge point carriers. I plan to also have a jerry can holder and a few other things on the "mast". The tire rack is removable but also will be secured. Start at the bottom and work your way up to see the progression. Let me know what you think, if its junk or worth what I have into it.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
xwildman138x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
05LjNj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

thats awesome.. i want some new garage toys to play with right now
05LjNj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I had a garage to put my toys in. working out of a shed sucks

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

looks fantastic!! nice work!
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I got alot more to do, hopefully I'll get some time soon to work on it again.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

holy arc welder batman!

my hat goes off to you.... i've had a dozen or so attempts at stick welding and that **** is HARD.... props to you for actually knowing how
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Big, thats what we started with at school and I hated it. Now I love stick welding. Although I use the wire feed for the thin plate, cause I'm lazy. Just use the stick for when I wanna burn deep. Also that machine was given to me by a great friend, I thank him every time I see him. I love my miller.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #10
Cannon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely worth your time & $$$. Garrrr, great job. Besides your plans for the cans, throw somethin on there for:
- a hi-lift.
- hybrid backup light or two
If possible, I think fisherman pay top dollar for moth-bait so plan for or even if can attach a basket, since heep space is a premium. Freakin Garvin's trail basket is sweet.
- Mounts for a future overhead rack mod i.e.: "Daves Rack, Garvin, etc...
Great 'fabbin.
'90YJ Hard & Soft w/Full Drs; 4.2 Rebuild w/ Webber, 30x10.5; Interstate MegatronII D34; Mods: Rock Guards; Hi Lift Inst; Herc'd Tub, Front & Under; Elev Rear Seat; Scty CntrConsole/ Overhead&Rear Boxes; KC Lights-Fr & Rear; PA Sys; Gauges; Int Lts; Batt/Alt Cable; Heater Mods; 8K Winch, KargoMaster Rack w/Yak Megawarrior Basket; Ground Lights (4);Dumped - Optima Yellow after only 4yrs
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #11
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwildman138x
I wish I had a garage to put my toys in. working out of a shed sucks

I feel your pain man. Try doing it in an uneven driveway with the only access to your toys is on the other side of the house thru the neighbors driveway. Why they put the door over there I will never know.

Looks great BTW. Nice stick welds. And props for a miller

Why you sayin mig is Lazy welding??????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Cannon I have plans for alot of what your talking about, its not done and I have alot of work yet to do. but definitely there are plans for that stuff. I can't wait till next weekend when I can get back to it. when I have more pics of the stuff that i get done next I'll post them.

Rusty I was wondering if somebody would take that statement that way after I wrote it, haha. What I meant was I'm too lazy to try and arc the thin plate. Using the wire feed is just so much nicer when your done. I don't have gas for that welder so its not nice and clean when your done but it still looks good enough after you work on it a little. Oh by the way thanks rusty your welding cart project got the welding juices flowing. I want to get this done so I can start on the welding cart. I acquired the metal for it this week. moms pull cart is going to be used as a platform to build off of (thanks for the suggestion). After hauling all the welding stuff back to the shed I can't wait to get the cart done.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwildman138x
Oh by the way thanks rusty your welding cart project got the welding juices flowing. I want to get this done so I can start on the welding cart. I acquired the metal for it this week. moms pull cart is going to be used as a platform to build off of (thanks for the suggestion). After hauling all the welding stuff back to the shed I can't wait to get the cart done.

Glad I could be a motivator. Now if only the weather would hold up for me I would finish my projects.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
xwildman138x
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah rusty I have the same problem, last weekend on sat it got so dark out it almost looked like it was dusk. I said "hmmm better start putting everything away" beings that it takes a half hour to lug all the stuff back into the shed. Got everything back in the shed and went inside, don't you know the damn sun came out.

Tire Carrier

Ma & Pa's Rig
Unread 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #15
daddyduby
1990 YJ Wrangler 

xwildman138x

what happen to this thread, where's the finished project? And on a more serious note, where did you get your material from? I have been looking high and low for some "free" metal and can't find anything anywhere.
daddyduby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.