Start Probs.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Start Probs..

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 08-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Start Probs..

So here is my issue,
I have a 94 Jeep wrangler YJ. It cranks but thats it. leave the key in run position for a bit, auto shutdown relay clicks as well as fuel pump relay. I originally thought my issue was the fuel pump. Changed the fuel pump and there was no power going to it, so I ran a hotwire to my fuse box as a temp. fix. Well that never fixed my issue. Took it to a mechanic and they told me I need a new pcm. Would be $1,000 for them to screw the job so I said hell with that and got it towed back to my house. AAA guy said it's very unlikely to be the pcm and to check my ignition coil, so I bought a new one...once again, nothing. Spark plugs and wires also are good. I'm at the point of giving up. If I where to get pcm would I have to get it with the same numbers or can I get one to match yr, make, model, tranny, and engine? If I were to get a pcm, would it need reprogrammed with the miles, etc for my Jeep at a Jeep dealership ? Also when I leave the key in run for awhile I can smell gas but can't seem to notice a leak. Please help

caseybam1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have fuel at the fuel rail? Do you have spark? There is a way to test the computer but I'm not sure how... I'm sure someone that knows will chime in so you don't have to waste anymore money.

When did your problem start?

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When you turn the key to the on position. Does the cel come on? If it doesn't you need to search up brain surgery.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

youngjeeper, I have yet to check fuel at the fuel rail, but I can hear it flowing into the engine (possibly flooding?) I will check that tomorrow. And mechanic said I wasn't getting spark, but can't exactly designate location because it won't start now. The problem started when me, my girlfriend, and my stubborn Jeep took a trip 420 miles away to visit family in Philadelphia. The problem started of very mild, as if the starter was the issue because it would just take the starter a few more cranks than usual to get going. This was about a month ago when it all began.

bigbossd1030, what do you mean by cel?
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

See if your getting power to your coil while cranking if you are and your plugs arnt sparking its a bad coil. If you don't have power to your coil it's either a wiring problem or your ecm

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just read that you replaced your coil so it's most likely a wiring or ECM problem assuming you have fuel and NO spark

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybam1128
youngjeeper, I have yet to check fuel at the fuel rail, but I can hear it flowing into the engine (possibly flooding?) I will check that tomorrow. And mechanic said I wasn't getting spark, but can't exactly designate location because it won't start now. The problem started when me, my girlfriend, and my stubborn Jeep took a trip 420 miles away to visit family in Philadelphia. The problem started of very mild, as if the starter was the issue because it would just take the starter a few more cranks than usual to get going. This was about a month ago when it all began.

bigbossd1030, what do you mean by cel?
Check engine light. It should light up when you turn the key to the on position.

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Youngjeepr, I'm assuming the same, but computers are expensive and idk if that's for sure my problem /:
And bigbossd, my check engine light doesn't come on in the run position since this problem started. Only the seatbelt light. And also I think it may be important to note that I drove it to work a week ago, after my shift took me about 20 min. To get it to roughly start. When it started all my dash lights just went out an the lights aren't working. Also it died on me while driving on the highway only once the same night on my way home. Took another 10 min to start
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
youngjeepr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not saying by a ECM yet I would test it before you replace it... Search on the forum and I'm sure something will come up on how to test it.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You don't have to replace the ECM. You need to replace the capacitors in it. Search up brain surgery on how to. It's as simple as soldering in three new capacitors into the computer.

Unread 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Big bossd, I looked up a write up on brain surgury and looks fairly easy, I'm going to give it a shot! Have u tried doing brain surgery before?
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Big bossd, I looked up a write up on brain surgury and looks fairly easy, I'm going to give it a shot! Have u tried doing brain surgery before?
I haven't personally. But I have read the writeups for when I have to. If you can run a soldering gun. Then you shouldn't have a problem. Just do exactly as the writeup says.

Unread 08-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright I got all the parts today so will try to perform the brain surgery tonight! I will let u know of it works for me tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright I got all the parts today so will try to perform the brain surgery tonight! I will let u know of it works for me tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Us as well. Good luck!

Unread 09-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
caseybam1128
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Us as well. Good luck!

Thank you so much bigbossd, my Wrangler lives again! When I first got her goin she was idling pretty rough and the check engine light is on but now it smoothed out. Check engine light is still on, but the guy at autozone read the codes, gave me the a/c relay, battery recently disconnected, and something with an O2 sensor, but it's most likely the battery which will go away after 10 starts or so. Again thank you so so much, saved me tons of money

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.