standard Water pump or High Flow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > standard Water pump or High Flow

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-19-2001, 07:15 AM   #1
OhYeah

standard Water pump or High Flow

Hey friends,

I was looking on 4wd hardware's sight and they have 2 different water pumps for my wrangler. One is what looks like a standard pump for $56 and the other is a high flow for $109. Is there anything great I can expect from the high flow? I have a 91YJ 4 cyl. as you can see in my sig. Is it worth the extra $50 to get the high flow?

Thanks,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2001, 08:01 AM   #2
JeeperJay

IMHO I'd say no. I just replaced mine with a standard pump for $35 at my local auto parts store and I have no problems with it. Unless you're running huge tires with the wrong gears you shouldn't have any cooling problems with the stock cooling system.
Unread 09-19-2001, 08:13 AM   #3
OhYeah

Hey,

Currently I am running 31x10.5 but I am going to be going with a 33x12.50 soon. Currently I also have the stock 4.10 gears. Someday I will probably upgrade to 4.56 at the same time I do my engine swap and I hit the lotto. So will I be OK with the standard pump? Are there any differences between one I find at 4wd hardware's site and one from Autozone?

Thanks,

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2001, 08:52 AM   #4
JeeperJay

I can't say for sure if there is any difference. But I can't imagine there would be much difference. I don't think there are many mods that could be done to a water pump. They are pretty basic. High flow pumps have more impeller blades which gives you better flow while using less power to do so. They also make different pump casings such as cast iron for durability or aluminum for light weight. The stock pump in your jeep should be a aluminum casing. Pumps with better quality bearings will also increase your flow/horsepower use. If you're looking at a more expensive pump, get all the info you can about it first to make sure you're not getting ripped off. Hope I've been some help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.