Standard Transmission for 87 Jeep Wrangler V-6 (258) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Standard Transmission for 87 Jeep Wrangler V-6 (258)

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
TBS1970
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Standard Transmission for 87 Jeep Wrangler V-6 (258)

Hello Board,

I am newbie and just bought my 16 year old son a one-owner 1987 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 88k miles (45k on engine) for his Christmas gift. I have already put in a Sachs clutch kit, warrior gas tank skid plate, and am now being told I need either(both) a new transfer case or transmission. The problem is whenever I shift into reverse and let the clutch out I hear a pretty loud "thumping" or clanging as the Jeep backs up. At first, I thought it was the U-joint but that was not the case. A local garage told me it is either the chain in the transfer case or the tranny is bad with a price tag of between $750-$1000. Any advice or suggestions on what it is maybe or what to do? Where can I find a decent used transfer case and/or tranny?

Thanks!
Tom

TBS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i6, AMC 258**
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't pay for a rebuild on the tranny. The rebuilt transmissions tend to need to be rebuilt over and over. I would just go to a local salvage yard and get another low mileage replacement.
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by befumo View Post
i6, AMC 258**
That doesn't help out his situation.

I dought its the transfer case chain. If it were, I'd imagine that it you would hear in every gear. This makes me think its the tranny.

Unfortunately, the 87 came with a Pugout tranny, which is known for not beeing a good tranny. I think 89 is the year they switched to the ax15. People have switched to the ax15 before, and a little bit of research should shed some light on the situation. If your son replaced the clutch himself, then he can swap in a different tranny himself and save you a lot of money. When I was looking for a new tranny I was finding them for $600.

car-part.com is a good place to look

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd bet tranny also. The transfer case would grenade pretty fast if it was the chain.

On the Peugeot, it is weaker and prone to failure. Also unless it's free, not worth the rebuild.

If you can swap a clutch, you can install an AX-15.

Total is about 600 bucks. Read through here..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/yj-trans-swap-ba-10-5-ax-15-write-up-312203/
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
jeepian

Look for a ax 15
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it only make the noise in 4WD when backing up or does it also do it in 2WD?

BTW if it's a stock Jeep it will have the Peugeot BA/10 tranny and the oddball NP207.
The NP207 was only used in the 1987 YJ's. They switch to the better NP231 in 1988 and beyond.
The Peugeot BA/10 was only used in teh 6 cyls from 1987 thru March of 1989.
after that Jeep switched to the superior AX-15 tranny.

If it turns out it's the tranny I'd recommend you seriously consider not dumping any money into the tranny but to swap out the exsiting NP207 Peugeot BA/10 combo and replace it with an AX-15 and Np231 setup out of a slightly newer YJ.

Suggestions for places to find parts...
- Craigslist
- www.car-part.com
- Local Jeep forums
- Local junk yards

I have a "parts" Peugeot tranny in my shed. If you tear into the tranny and find a broken part let me know
I'd be happy to ship you the part(s) (if I have it) for the price of shipping.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
TBS1970
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you!

Hello Board,

I really do appreciate all of the advice I got! I also thought it would be the tranny and not transfer case. I may run her until she dies and then upgrade to the A-15 per the many recommendations I got. It looks like the 16 year old better start working more hours!

Tom
TBS1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
veritas4156
1991 MJ Comanche 

Here's an awesome site to check for parts in junkyards near you: http://www.car-part.com/ Thats where I found a junkyard that had a motor for my jeep for 300 bucks delivered!
veritas4156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.