Stalls when braking hard, only when going forward - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stalls when braking hard, only when going forward

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #1
onlyinayj89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stalls when braking hard, only when going forward

I have searched but couldn't find my exact problem.

My Jeep, 89 yj w/ weber 34, stalls when I brake hard but only going forward. I can easily brake going forward and it doesn't stall but it comes close. I can brake as hard as I want in reverse and it does not even attempt to stall out. Vacuum lines are all tight and brake booster has been replaced with 95 dual diaphragm and is leak free.

I am thinking it might have to do with the fuel / carburetor something of that nature?

Any info is appreciated this problem has been haunting me for long time

onlyinayj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyinayj89 View Post
I have searched but couldn't find my exact problem.

My Jeep, 89 yj w/ weber 34, stalls when I brake hard but only going forward. I can easily brake going forward and it doesn't stall but it comes close. I can brake as hard as I want in reverse and it does not even attempt to stall out. Vacuum lines are all tight and brake booster has been replaced with 95 dual diaphragm and is leak free.

I am thinking it might have to do with the fuel / carburetor something of that nature?

Any info is appreciated this problem has been haunting me for long time
Definitely a fuel delivery problem. I had a similar problem in my '70 nova. The in tank fuel lines were positioned at the back of the tank and so when I braked/cornered hard it would choke out. That and the fuel pump was weak for the set up I had. Replacing the fuel pump and fuel lines solved it for me.

Does it do it when your tank is completely full? What about when you corner hard? Hows about when you're nose down on a steep incline?

Could be your carb as well.

Someone else with more carbed YJ experience will have to chime in.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Considering it only happens when going forward, I would suspect a carb problem. Likely the fuel float settings.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
onlyinayj89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I m going to check the float and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.
onlyinayj89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my '87 with the Carter carb. The carb was flooding out on a hard brake. It would also flood when on a hard descent while off road. Carb was rebuilt. Still had the problem. Figured it was something in the Carter design. Replaced it with the ebay motorcraft. For $300 and 4 hours time, the problem went away.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.