Stalling and Sputtering-1993 YJ 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stalling and Sputtering-1993 YJ 4.0

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Stalling and Sputtering-1993 YJ 4.0

Hi all,

Recently had a lot of fuel work done on my yj; replacement of fuel rail and cleaned injectors, etc.

Jeep ran great for three days and now have a problem.

Jeep has no problem starting and going to idle

When in neutral and I crank up the throttle to 2k or higher and come off throttle she stalls. Can't go to idle

When driving and switching gears (ax15) she sputters when I'm giving gas and I have to come off throttle a bit.

Any ideas what this could be? No codes showing

Thank in advance

weerwolv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hi all,

My mistake on codes as I just re-checked.

It;s throwing codes

Unread 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

code 21 = oxygen sensor or circuit
code 24 = throttle position sensor or circuit

You may want to test both sensors separately, its not hard to do. I'm inclined to believe that it maybe a circuit issue because I seem to recall that they both share the same hot lead from the ECU. Don't quote me on that tho. Test the sensors separately first.

Whoops before I forget, make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the firewall or to the battery before you test any electrical. No point in testing with a bum ground throwing off your readings.
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try performing a Distributor Sync or Indexing... #1 piston TDC on compression stroke, the tip of the rotor in dizzy should be just past the terminal #1(just scribe a line on distributor itself center of tower #1) .020", if not, remove distributor to re*index it. You may have to modify distributor a little to turn.
VenomousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's "tip of the rotor" f@*king auto correct! LOL
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

More potential causes...

* camshaft position sensor
* crankshaft sensor
* defective PCM
* defective upstream O2 Sensor
* wiring harness / ground
* ignition coil
* MAP sensor
* TPS sensor
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
VenomousMaximus
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The PCM on this engine allows the upstream O2 sensor signal to determine 25% of the fuel control... So if the O2 sensor voltage remains too high as the PCM moves to closed loop, the controller will take away fuel. Usually in this case the O2 sensor is shorted to voltage.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
weerwolv

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the background and help. Just picked up a new TPS and 02 from Autozone and will try them tonight.

Gonna shoot for the TPS first. If that corrects things enough I'll return the 02. If not, 02 goes in next

-Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.