Stalling problems in 88 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stalling problems in 88

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
PhoenixEML

Stalling problems in 88

Sorry for the long post, but I'm getting very frustrated dealing with this problem, and my mechanic hasn't been much help. I have an 88 YJ, I6 engine, auto transmission, which I've owned since August. Ever since it got cold (I'm in NH), it's been stalling while I'm driving. Sometimes when I'm stopped at a light, but a few times while I was making a turn.

About a month ago I had the carburator replaced. I've still had problems where the car has been warmed up and driven for at least ten minutes, but will conk out when I'm stopped at a light. I brought it back to my mechanic, and he decided the carburator was a lemon and put in a new one Monday. Tuesday, the car died three times while I was trying to warm it up and started to shake for the first time. Of course when I brought it back to him it started fine and didn't conk out at all. He put some fuel additive in to clean it, adjusted the carb, and told me to only pump it once, and not warm it up. Well, it died the next morning while driving, and again later that day when I tried to pull out of the parking lot. I"m pretty sure my mechanic thinks I'm crazy, or a stupid little girl, but I've done everything he's told me to do, and I didn't imagine the shaking or dying in the road.

Luckily, one time when I was stopped in the middle of the road, with many cars honking behind me there was a guy in a CJ-7 (I was checking him out before I conked out) and he pushed me to the side and taught me a trick of holding down the gas pedal to open the butterfly to open it. So, if I'm stall out while driving I can force it to start again, but this is getting ridiculous. I don't mind spending the money to get it fixed, but I want it fixed damn it. Could this be an ignition module problem? I was going to try cleaning out the idle tubes, but my uncle said that couldn't be the problem because the carburator has been replaced. I'm open to any ideas!

PhoenixEML is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been having a similar problem as you, except mine stalls out much more often . It's gotten to the point that I don't drive it as much anymore. Hopefully I'll have the chance in the next few weeks to do some more diagnosis. Here's what I'm planning to do, I'll let you know if any of these things work. Other than a normal tune up (plugs/wires/cap/rotor/O2 sensor/oil change/whatever)...

1) Replace the emissions valves on the right hand side of the engine. I know one is bad, and that can cause junk to get back into the carburetor, and create stalling.

2) If that doesn't work, I'm gonna replace the ignition module, but I think that when the module dies, it just goes alltogether. At least that's what happened last time mine went.

3) Replace the carburetor - since you already did this step, you can probably skip it. I'm not too keen on replacing mine, because sometimes my Jeep idles just fine, perfectly smooth.

4) Replace the Cat - might be a little higher on the list, but I'm going in for emissions testing in two months, and don't really want to replace the cat unless I know it's bad.

5) Pull my hair out 'cause I can't think of anything else that'll make the thing stall every time I stop/turn/look at it.

Good luck, and if I figure it out on mine, I'll pass the info along to you. Hopefully it'll be the same issue.

Oh yeah, one other thing. If it only happens when it's real cold out, there's a tube coming off the air intake that's supposed to pull hot air from around the exhaust manifold. You might want to check to see if it's working properly, or even missing altogether. There's a door in the air intake that regulates temperature inside the air filter box, so the carburetor sees a constant temperature no matter what the temperature outside, more or less. The door is worked by engine vacuum and a switch inside the air filter housing.
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
PhoenixEML

Thanks for getting back to me. The problem is driving me nuts and I'm almost ready to send it into the river. But it's my only car, so I don't have the luxury of driving another on cold mornings. Plus, when I drive other cars, I feel like I'm cheating on my Jeep! And I miss all the waves.

Please let me know if any of that works. I'm having a hard time finding anybody that knows what they're doing with carburators any more. The mechanic the other Jeep driver recomended to me doesn't do that work anymore. My automotive knowledge is limited to putting key in ignition and putting the car in gear, but I'll pass your suggestions along to my friend when he works on it.

Thanks!
Unread 11-26-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Megatron

1: find new mechanic
2: have him/her install weber
3: enjoy jeep

if i can think of something else will let youy know
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
blackYJ88

hey i have just the thing for you. i used to have that same problem with my jeep when i had that carter 2 barrel that thing was awful. I found out some information about it online i hope this helps you. (CHECK OUT THIS LINK)
http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
blackYJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
PhoenixEML

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackYJ88
hey i have just the thing for you. i used to have that same problem with my jeep when i had that carter 2 barrel that thing was awful. I found out some information about it online i hope this helps you. (CHECK OUT THIS LINK)
http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
I was going to try that, but when I asked my uncle about it, he said that couldn't be the problem since I've already replaced the carburator (twice in the past month). I was hoping that was the problem, because it seemed like a cheap, easy fix that even I could do. Now I'm going to try replacing the ignition module and while I'm under there, check out the other suggestions. It seems like every time I did a search on this problem clogged idle tubes and bad ignition modules were the most common reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
blackYJ88

ya but the only thing is if the ignition module was gone it would be gone it wouldnt work. the igniton module either works or it doesnt there is no in between.
blackYJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #8
PhoenixEML

Does it fail all together, or can it fail intermittently? All I know about ignition modules is what I found when researching why YJs keep stalling.

I got the idea from http://www.bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=5&faqid=38#faqtop
Sometimes it quits without warning, but sometimes I can tell it's about to quit because I lose steering first.

And if I have a new carburator, what else could it be? The second one was put in Monday, adjusted Tuesday and has died at least once on every single trip I've taken it.
Unread 11-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Possible vacuum leaks?
Is the vacuum advance on the distributer working?
Is the timing set right?

After I replaced my no-good, always flooding, always stalling stock carburator with a new Weber carb and set my timing properly, ALL my driveability issues went away.

And, my OEM carb had been rebuilt only months before crapping out for its last time.
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #10
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackYJ88
ya but the only thing is if the ignition module was gone it would be gone it wouldnt work. the igniton module either works or it doesnt there is no in between.
Actually, ignition modules are notorious for working intermitantly when they start to go bad. True, the factory carbs are crap on those engines but I think your problem, Phoenix, is ingition related instead, since you say it can happen while you're just cruising along (checking out guys in CJ-7s ).

Plus, if it was a carb/fuel problem, it should start right back up after it dies and not need to be pushed out of the road.

When it dies, how long does it take before it'll start back up again? To me it sounds exactly like an ignition module that's decided to work when it wants to.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
PhoenixEML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299

When it dies, how long does it take before it'll start back up again? To me it sounds exactly like an ignition module that's decided to work when it wants to.
It depends. Sometimes I can start it up right away just by shifting into park, shutting it off and starting over again. Other times, it takes a few minutes. Sometimes I can force it by keeping my foot down on the accelerator. Last week it took me a good five minutes to get it going when I was stuck half in the parking lot, half in the street. This problem is getting really old.

All these suggestions are great. I've definitely decided to break up with my mechanic. I'm not imagining stalling out in the street. I've conned my uncle into making a day trip from Mass. to work on the jeep (he has a CJ-5 back in the day but it's been awhile) and I'll pass these suggestions on to him. I'm going to go ahead and buy the ignition module and have him install it. $50 is the least I've spent on it. I've never had more problem with a car, but I've never loved a car (Jeep) more.
Unread 12-02-2004, 06:13 AM   #12
sailor77

I haven a 89 auto 258 as well. I know the exact problem you are talking about. Seems that cold more affects the jeep than anything. This summer I could start the jeep and never had to worry about it dying. Now that cold has set in I drive with two feet until the jeep is warmed up. My carb is about 16 months old, and it has been nuttered. Also I replaced my ign module in July when it died. The jeep would run with it in, but I could not drive it. Most Auto Zone stores can test the ign module for you before you buy a new one. Have them test it a few times. Not that it means anything, because mine tested good and it was still bad.

I think mine stalls because it needs a new head gasket. I don't go very far in it and am going to be pulling the motor soon, so I have not bothered to change it. My jeep is basically air cooled right now, which is bad in heavy traffic.

I don't think your carb is the problem. Neither would your cat be due to the fact I don't have one and it still dies. I would look as upgrading your distributor to a ford or chevy type. I think that will solve your problem.
sailor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:04 PM   #13
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most Auto Zone stores can test the ign module for you before you buy a new one. Have them test it a few times. Not that it means anything, because mine tested good and it was still bad.
This is why many parts stores are phasing out ignition module testing. Many times a module wont fail until it's been used for some amount of time to build up some heat inside it, and in that case a tester can make a bad module look good. It might take hours for a tester to get a module to actually fail on the bench, and therefore shoudn't be completely trusted.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
1989YJNebraska

I had the same exact thing happen to me. But for me, the easy fix was the carb was missing an idle mixture screw. The guy that put the new carb in didn't know much about Jeep carbs, so he forgot to put it in. I know that sounds silly, but I didn't know alot about the 4.2L when I bought it. I figured it was an easy fix, and it was. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on. I was able to acquire one from a junkyard for free, put it in, and I haven't had the problem since, go figure. It did need to be tuned, obviously. I agree, get a second opinion
1989YJNebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:19 PM   #15
H2_RECOVERY
1982 CJ8 

Well I have seen this few times on custmer jeeps and i fixed them all changing the carb over to a webber and all drive issues are gone!!! You end up with about 5-10 more hps with the webber to!!
H2_RECOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.