Stalling problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stalling problems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
soxfann

Stalling problems

I own a 89 Jeep Wrangler w/4.2L I6. She starts up fine, but after a minute or so, she stalls out. I've checked all the vacuum connections, replaced the fuel filter and alternator (alternator was bad). The carb is new (3-6 months old). Any ideas on what the problem might be?

soxfann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Is your idle set properly? Does she stall when the gas pedal is applied?
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
soxfann

Pressing the gas pedal is only way to keep it from stalling. I was thinking about setting the idle though.
Unread 11-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
mikenj73

Is it the stock Carter carb or the Weber carb? If it is the Carter, I can relate to your problem. The only time mine didn't want to stall was when I first started up and the choke was on. My carb is not new like yours, but these are some things you might wanna check out or try.

Does the Jeep run better after it has warmed up? If so, check your choke setting.... sound like it is too lean.

Does it still run bad after it's warmed up? Then it might be your idle setting, as atomicmoose mentioned. It might be idling too low when the choke comes off. You'd need to turn the idle screw up until it runs smoothly

If that doesn't do it, then warm up the Jeep and then look down into the carb (with caution and safety glasses). See if there is any fuel dripping down into the throat of the carb. If there is, you might need to enlarge your idle tubes like I had to. They need to be drilled out to 0.032". You can get that size drill bit at a hobby store. Go to this address for the how-to:
http://forums.vmag.com/pm-0501/messages/2566.html

Check the idle mixture screws. I screwed mine all the way in, then I backed them out a little at a time until I got the smoothest idle.

When all else fails, use some carb cleaner, couldn't hurt. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
soxfann

I appreciate the help guys. However I think I've hit a snag. While tracing my vacuum lines I noticed one that leads from the vacuum solenoids to the sol-vac idle speed adjustment on the carb is just dangling (not connected). Actually I really don't think I have a sol-vac. The carb is the original carter, I mentioned I had it replaced and it is remanufactured. Is it possible for this piece to be missing all together? Or I am just missing it (not seeing it) all together.
I know what it looks like, but it isn't where it is supposed to be.
Unread 11-13-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Burnunit22

A Weber will make all of those headaches go away....kinda like our David Ortiz made your sox headache go away!
Signed, Twins Guy
P.S. My 11 year old's main man was Dougie Minki-tinka-witz (has his autogragh and everything), so be nice to him!
Unread 11-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Mazdaboy

Wow that's scary I have the exact same problem. I have a 1 year old reman Carter carb with the one vacuum line dangling. Its been dangling all year I think. My Jeep runs fine when above 1100 rpms, but dies when I go below that. I am considering the weber upgrade and am hoping this will fix it.

MB
89 w/1975 258. TF999 Automatic. Weber K551 38. BDS 2" lift. 15 in RockCrawlers w/31" Bridgestone Dueler REVO's. Smittybilt stereo security console. Alpine mp3 cd player. BMW steering wheel. 4.0 head conversion. Heavy duty bumpers. Deka Intimidator battery.

[url]http://www.geocities.com/spokebreakers/jeep.html[/url]
Mazdaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.