Stainless Fasteners.....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Stainless Fasteners.....?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Stainless Fasteners.....?

So I am very slowly re-building my Jeep, and since I have pieced it together from a few YJs, I am missing many body bolts, the 5/16-18 bolts that are used all over.

Anyway I am planning on buying new bolts that are hex head 18-8 Stainless Steel. It is not the best SS, (not 316) but they are just body bolts. I am just trying to avoid rust/siezing.

I am want to replace all the torx bolts with these as well.

We use Stainless fasteners all the time where I work (high pressure compressor company)

I do not see any issues with the stainless fasteners on my YJ, but I just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone could think of any issues I might run into.

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have have been replacing various bolts with stainless over the last couple years. No problems to date.

You probably know that grade 8 steel should be used in high stress or safety concern areas.
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds good

Yea, body bolts do not see much stress, at least I hope not haha.

Unread 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No, you do not want to use stainless bolts or any of the stainless hardware that can see stress. Stainless is way too soft and while it is good that it doesnt rust most common stainless bolts are about a grade 2. They will snap with any torque you apply to them. It really is just not worth breaking one off. At least go grade 5 so if you need to use leverage on a stuck bolt it won't end with you drilling and tapping it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, what we have found here is that the use of a good anti-sieze, and if need be, a torque wrench, eliminates any of those issues.

We commonly had the same issue you speak of, but with anti-sieze, it virtually eliminated all accidental cross threading and/or removal problems.

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me

I just got done looking at a bolt site. And stainless fasteners are not nearly as strong as the steel counter part.
I like the cadium plated bolts.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...ade-Chart.aspx
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep came with grade 3 and 5. By using the common stainless bolts you are using grade 2. Also while you do torque them the dirt, body rolling and torquing will bind them up tighter then the spec.
I use grade 8's because when push comes to shove I know that when I put them in I will be able to get them back out in one piece. I seriously would have my reservations about SS on bolts.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

if you look at that chart, it says:

Grade 5: min yield: 92ksi min tensile: 120ksi

18-8 SS (typical): min yield: 80-90 ksi min tensile: 100-125ksi....

Does not seem like much of a difference to me.... I was plannig on using 18-8, not really sure what the "typical" means though.

wheres my machinery's handbook.....

Unread 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

A grade 8 bolt even rusted in can handle some serious torque and heat if needed to get out. The SS ones will gall up and fight ya.
But if i had access to some cheap SS bolts I would use them on every thing but winch mounting bolts and suspension bolts. As they are plenty strong and I normally dont like removing stuff once its put on,.
I bought a old military truck once, and it had a box of titanium bolts and nuts in it,. Talk about tough...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Youngjeeper,

I am not sure where that chart came from but I doubt it is accurate. ARP (Automotive Racing Products) created one of the most professional, if not THE PROFESSIONAL, company for fasteners in the world. They are simply the best and 95% of all professional racers use their bolts for all stress applications. They are the best and they make the best. They are the only people I know that make a super tough stainless steel bolt that is equal to Grade 8. They are costly but they are tough. If someone is saying that their stainless steel bolts are equal to Grade 8 THEN IT BETTER BE A.R.P. You should go to their website or ask them for a catalog. They have so much "engineering information for the non-engineer" that you would be amazed. You could learn more about bolts and fasteners than you ever imagined and it won't cost you anything.

Personally, I use Grade 8 with anti-sieze for all my high-stress applications, especially jeep suspension fasteners. On engines, if I can, I use A.R.P. studs. They work!!

I wish you the best, but I will really warn you about going with stainless bolts for roll bars, suspensions, etc. unless it is A.R.P. And no, I don't have stock in A.R.P. You need money to buy stock and I am broke. You got some great information and advice up there and I wish you the best.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!

I will check out ARPs website. However, like you said, they make bolts for racing and super high stress, all the guys in the diesel pick up truck world use only ARP head studs, but come on, I am talking jeep body bolts!

It is no doubt I would use grade 8 on winchs/supspension/roll cage/engine applications, but this is body bolts.

I am going to give the 18-8 SS bolts a shot with a ton of anti sieze.

I will be the first one to admit defeat on the first bolt head I twist off haha, then I will just have to go with titanium haha.

Unread 09-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
jdubsjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Stick with the grade 8 bolts on stress points and if you want to jazz up the misc. dash and assorted body bolts check out the pan head ss. They really clean up the overall look, if that is what you are looking for.
jdubsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.