Squirly Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squirly Steering

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
jollyzebra
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Squirly Steering

About a year ago I purchased my 1993 YJ Wrangler and since than I have been trying to return it to "closer" to original state and make it more comfortable for a 66 year-old to drive. It has a 1.5" body lift on it and nearly new BAJA MT WIDETRACK 31x10.50R15LT tires on aluminimum rims.

Recently I had the shop replace the manual steering gear with power steering gear (much easier on this old man) BUT now the steering can be downright scarey. At speeds of 25mph or more it is VERY easy for a "swing & sway" rythum to develop and the faster you are going the more it wants to increase the tempo and the amount of deviation.

I have taken it to two different frontend shops and no one seems to be able to find the cause. I have replaced the steering dampener and all of the ends and joints checked OK. I am planning to get rid of the tires and wheels as soon as I can find someone who wants them. I'd love to find some one that wants to trade original rims and decent tires for the big guys I have.

Anybody got any ideas or answers? I'd appreciate any input. This really has me scratching my head.

jollyzebra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

damn, go easy on the bold and sizing there. makes it a little hard to read.

a lot of jeeps are like that to begin with, its lifted so its naturally gonna be somewhat squirrely. you should try driving mine, people are too scared to drive it. im used to it so i don't spin the wheel at 100mph when it starts to drift like some idiots who i used to let drive my jeep. just make slight corrections as you're going down the road. if its vibrating so bad that the jeep is shaking and about to fall apart then thats death wobble and could be a number of things.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Get some caster shims for the front. (This is a steel "wedge" that goes between the leaf springs and the axle pads, thick part goes toward the front of Jeep). The shims will increase your castor angle and should fix your problem....It worked for me on a CJ with lift shackles....Oh and howdy neighbor - I'm up in Tyler....
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are quite a few "front end shops" that understand how to set up a steering configuration to published specs but clearly don't understand the geometry of steering and how all the angles play together to give you a straight & safe ride that's easy to turn but has a tendency to straighten out on it's own. The suggestion to use degree shims on the front axle is good, this is done to increase the caster angle - you'd probably need to try more than 1 set of shims (don't stack them if you need a larger angle) to fix the problem. I generally start with a 2 degree set and sometimes go to a 4 degree set depending on the lift as well as the rims and tires. After I get the stability and re-centering working to my satisfaction, I take the jeep to an alignment shop to check the angles to ensure that both sides are the same. If you end up with an axle where shims won't give you the same caster on both sides, this can be fixed with adjustable ball joints.

The consequence of using shims to adjust your caster to make your steering safe is that you may end up with front drive shaft - dissimilar angles at the 2 single cardan joints can cause vibration.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
sacrifice
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
damn, go easy on the bold and sizing there. makes it a little hard to read.
probably did it so he could see what he was writing. no shame in that. welcome to jeep forum!
sacrifice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

didn't read all of it at first, just now saw he's 66.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How bout snapping a few pictures of how the steering is currently set up? Since you're changing things back to stock it is quite possible that other things were changed prior to you owning it, and as is evidence from reading enough of this forum, not everything done is done correctly or safely.

You never know you may post a pic and we can clearly see what the "pros" have clearly missed.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

How is a body lift going to affect steering??

X2 on the pictures!

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
How is a body lift going to affect steering??

X2 on the pictures!
Exactly. Why would you need to adjust your castor angles when all you've done is a body lift? But from the symptoms it sounds like it may have some long shackles on it.

If you can get a pic of the front end we may be able to spot something.

Stock shackles should be 4" from bolt hole center to bolt hole center. You should measure yours and see if they are. Long shackles can do what you're describing. I've driven Jeeps with long shackle lifts that could swerve over a lane without any reason at all.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
jeepnbrett
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The comment earlier about death wobble being a number of possibilities is very true. If it's not an obvious problem then it becomes a process of elimination. The first step is to narrow it to a tire issue or front end issue. If you have the option of bolting on another set of tires & wheels then try that first. If that is not possible then rotate the tires front to rear and see if that changes anything. If the problem persists after eliminating the tires then we need to start eliminating front end possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

4.0, AT, 3.5 Fabtech, 1" SRS, 1" BL, 35x13.50x15 Toyo MT's, HP30, TJ shafts, Lockrite, 8.8, Power Trax No Slip, 4.11's, Warn bumpers, W8274, SYE, and a bunch of other stuff....
jeepnbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
jollyzebra
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and ideas - the pictures are a can-do item but may take a day or two due to other commitments. Where does one get "caster shims"? What I am really interested in is turning my YJ into a reliable "work horse" to get me and my gear to the out of the way places that I like to go to fishing and taking pictures. At my age, ATVs are a little rough on the spine and joints. My YJ is a "rockn' (pardon the pun) chair" version that my body can stand.

Thanks again folks.
jollyzebra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
SPORTSMAN4X4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How did this end up? Did you ever put the front axle shims in and did it help?
SPORTSMAN4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
Gohot

I'd like to chime in here too. I have 6" shackles I believe, along with 31's. All on a 95 YJ 4.0 My steering is ......ok... just. It doesn't wander really, but it takes a bit of concentration to stay straight. It doesn't really have much of this centering affect, so I figured caster was at play here, or since the axle was effectively rotated when the shackles were installed, that I lost some caster. If I find these wedge/shims what degree would be recommended? I will do it myself installing them. I'm guessing as was said early on, 2 to 4 degree wedges...?
Gohot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jollyzebra, I'm a 60 year old with a 20 year old YJ . And we have more in common, my steering is squirly too. No lift, thank God.
I've replaced the front leaf springs, two tie-rod ends, stabilizer bushings, steering gear box, and intermediate shaft and bearings.
Still squirly, but much better. All were contributing.
I think you've got good advice with the axle shims. Get your front end aligned, have them set the toe-in.
Get a reading on caster. Adjust with shims if necessary. Let us know how you make out.
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #15
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

"Bring out yer dead!"..... (old thread!)
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
power steering , steering , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.