Squealing while driving, turning wheel, acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squealing while driving, turning wheel, acceleration

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 11-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
gracemely
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Squealing while driving, turning wheel, acceleration

Hello,

I know the topic has been discussed elsewhere but I'd like to focus in on a specific set of circustances that cause my '91 YJ to make a squeal noise.

There was no problems coming to work thing morning. I left the lights on fore about 2 hours before a coworker told me about it. I went out, turned the lights off and turned the engine on. After 20 seconds or so I turned it off and went back inside (it's 30* outside).

About an hour later I went to lunch. When I put the Jeep in reverse and pressed the accelerator the squealing began (I stopped moving), when I turned the wheel left or right the squealing began again (I set the wheel straight), and lastly when I revved the engine the squealing began (If I hold the accelerator for a 40 seconds or so the squealing subsides and my RPM's increase by about 500). I drove around for about 10 minutes but the noise was still there.

Given these symptoms, are there any other answers besides what's been posted before?

Thanks guys!

G

-|91YJ|-
-□|||||||□-

[]=o=[]
keep wavin'
gracemely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

It sounds to me like a loose belt or your power steering pump....Check the PS fluid and if it's low, top it off....You may need to bleed some air out of the PS system....Here's the link I used.

http://64.233.169.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
Unread 11-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
hawaii
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's your PS assembly most likely if it happens when turning. I have a YJ box and an XJ pump on my TJ. It does it, no big deal.
hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
gracemely
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just went out there and the fluid is indeed low (so is the temperature). The mounting bolt on the reservoir is also missing so I'll stop at Waly-world and let you know how things turn out.

-|91YJ|-
-□|||||||□-

[]=o=[]
keep wavin'
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
gracemely
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Worked. New bolt and PS fluid.

-|91YJ|-
-□|||||||□-

[]=o=[]
keep wavin'
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracemely View Post
Worked. New bolt and PS fluid.
Glad to see you fixed the problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.