Squeaky front end. Driving me nuts! D: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaky front end. Driving me nuts! D:

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Squeaky front end. Driving me nuts! D:

So lately i noticed a front end squeak. Only when the jeeps moving. Im not sure which its coming from. Front left or right. I thought it was my ujoints on my driveshaft. But i pulled that and still squeaking. It only does it when the jeeps rolling. I checked the axle ujoint for play. Nothing. Before i just drop cash into it. Any ideas? Im leaning with wheel bearings?

Note : It started a day or two after it was stuck in a swamp overnight.

1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Shoelessboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Worn front brakes?
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Worn front brakes?
Its all practically new.
1991 Jeep Yj. 4cyl. 33x13.50x15 TSL Thornbirds, Super Wader Snorkel, 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Uniden Pro520xl Cb, 1000W Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub.
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
CHL
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
Its all practically new.
Sounds like something needs cleaned out. Ya know, from the night in the swamp.
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHL View Post
Sounds like something needs cleaned out. Ya know, from the night in the swamp.
I pressure washed it. It sounds like front passenger side.
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
redblur
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Squeaking suggests metal-to-metal contact somewhere.

You could try process of elimination by hitting one component of the suspension/steering system with a quick blast of WD-40 a day. For instance, the first day try the front left forward leaf spring bushing, wait for the WD-40 to evaporate or wash it off, listen for a squeak, and move on to the next component/bushing/ball joint/etc, Until the issue is found.

Also, take a grease gun to all the zerk's on the front suspension. That might eliminate a few possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpr333
When you try to use PB Blaster to open a jar of pickles.....
redblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblur View Post
Squeaking suggests metal-to-metal contact somewhere.

You could try process of elimination by hitting one component of the suspension/steering system with a quick blast of WD-40 a day. For instance, the first day try the front left forward leaf spring bushing, wait for the WD-40 to evaporate or wash it off, listen for a squeak, and move on to the next component/bushing/ball joint/etc, Until the issue is found.

Also, take a grease gun to all the zerk's on the front suspension. That might eliminate a few possibilities.
Did the grease gun. It only does it when its rolling. So its drivetrain somehow
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoelessboi View Post
I pressure washed it. It sounds like front passenger side.
Did you take your tire's off and spray out the hub/disk/caliper/knuckle/etc? I've had squeaking happen after I got debris trapped in those places that I couldn't get to without taking off the tire.

Just a thought.

Jack it up and jiggle the hell out of everything, see if you can recreate the noise while under/around it.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Check for mud between the brake rotor and the dust shield, if it only squeakes when you cycle your supension check the bushings on the swaybar.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

Did you take your tire's off and spray out the hub/disk/caliper/knuckle/etc? I've had squeaking happen after I got debris trapped in those places that I couldn't get to without taking off the tire.

Just a thought.

Jack it up and jiggle the hell out of everything, see if you can recreate the noise while under/around it.

Cheers
No but i will see if i can do that tomorrow.
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
Shoelessboi
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWA View Post
Check for mud between the brake rotor and the dust shield, if it only squeakes when you cycle your supension check the bushings on the swaybar.
Id check the swaybar but its in my room :P
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Check your body mounts. There is metal to metal contact there. As the bushing wear or rot they can cause this. It would only happen while moving as well.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.