Squeaky clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaky clutch

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Alex95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Squeaky clutch

Wandering if anybody had input on what would cause my clutch to squeak when I press and release it.

Alex95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Throwout bearing might be going bad.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
IPOOD
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Throwout bearing most common squeak, also thrust bushing but doubtfull. I have a squeak in my clutch pedal but it is the cheap plastic master cylinder.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"][B][I]RED JEEP CLUB #619[/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=jsawduste;10903432]

I do not claim to know everything. Have been beat up, been proven wrong and hard folks piss in my Cheerio`s.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DimGray"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][U][url]www.nightcrew.org[/url][/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
IPOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Alex95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch still feels good, should I just run til it gives out?
Unread 05-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
IPOOD
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No you will cause yourself much heartache if the throwout bearing seizes up.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"][B][I]RED JEEP CLUB #619[/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=jsawduste;10903432]

I do not claim to know everything. Have been beat up, been proven wrong and hard folks piss in my Cheerio`s.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DimGray"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][U][url]www.nightcrew.org[/url][/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
IPOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Alex95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So the jeep got rained on yesterday and when I got in to fire it up I immediately noticed no squeak from the clutch. It just sat in the rain for a couple hours, hadn't even driven it yet and the squeak was gone. I normally don't drive it when it rains because I don't keep the top on at all in the summer and the kids don't like getting wet. So I didn't notice it till now that when it's wet, no squeak. I hope thats good news, but don't know. What do you think it is? One thing I didn't mention before was that it would squeak with the engine off, even the tiniest touch to the pedal and you could get a squeak, no real pressure applied. Any thoughts?
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
Alex95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So the jeep got rained on yesterday and when I got in to fire it up I immediately noticed no squeak from the clutch. It just sat in the rain for a couple hours, hadn't even driven it yet and the squeak was gone. I normally don't drive it when it rains because I don't keep the top on at all in the summer and the kids don't like getting wet. So I didn't notice it till now that when it's wet, no squeak. I hope thats good news, but don't know. What do you think it is? One thing I didn't mention before was that it would squeak with the engine off, even the tiniest touch to the pedal and you could get a squeak, no real pressure applied. Any thoughts?
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex95YJ View Post
Did you find out what it was? My clutch is squeaky to, but I havent noticed it not squeaking when its raining or not. I happend to look at the clutch pedal and noticed a little leaking of DOT3, so looks like Ill be replacing the master cylinder soon. Im figuring that the leak is whats causing the squeak. I hope its that and not a throw out bearing
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
TMarie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this squeaky issue! I bought a 2000 TJ in June and about a month later this horrendous noise came about when ever I pressed the clutch pedal. Ignored it for a bit but as we all know, it's quite annoying!! My friend said he'd help me out and thought it was the pressure plate. So 2 days, and many bruises later, I have a new clutch. But guess what? I still have a squeak!!! I'm beyond frustrated over it and now we are thinking its the clutch fork which would require us to go back into the transmission and that was such a project last time!! Any other suggestions? No possible way it's as simple as the pedal itself??
TMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

zombie thread. cant hurt to lube the linkage inside the jeep under the dash

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My pedal squeaks, I need to throw some grease on it or something.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
YJ-dimi
1994 YJ Wrangler 

squeky clutch wrangler yj 1994 master-slave

I've had this problem developing over time. it start with an occasional squeak and progressively gets worse. for 2 weeks now the clutch squeaks almost all the way the pedal is depressed. Mine is a 94 yj with master-slave cilinder. In my case the slave cylinder was making noise and i decided today to pull it out and check the slave cilinder inside. After pulling the dustcap which holds the rod that makes the linkage slave piston to throwout bearing. I saw that there was a plastic cup inside that slides up and down the slave housing and is lubed with some white grease??? because my yj is almost 20 years old some things will eventually dry out and loose it's smoothnes. so i figured that would be the problem causing the squeak. i first got the WD-40 and sprayed a little bit with the straw?? between the plastic cup and housing. not to much just enough to surconference?? the cup. after that i pushed down the cup into the slave cilinderhousing (beware that some brake oil can come out of the reservoir up top). after a few good pushes i already noticed improvement of the squeak. i then got some plane grease and coated my middle finger halfway and while pushing down on the cup i rotated the grease on the inside of the housing. with the grease halfway on the finger this will place it on the housing where the cup will pass over. the wd-40 left will make it more weaker thus greasing better and will also support getting the grease a little furter down the slave cilinder housing. after this i reinstalled the slave cilinder and voila no more squeaky clutch hope this will help someone with the same problem.
YJ-dimi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.