Squeaking Noise coming from under the hood when started up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaking Noise coming from under the hood when started up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 10-24-2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Squall280

Squeaking Noise coming from under the hood when started up

As soon as I start my jeep I get an extemely loud squeaking noise from under the hood that won't go away until I lay on the gas. How do I get rid of this noise?

Squall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:41 PM   #2
jeepin_coug

It's a loose belt. Jeeps only have a serpentine belt, tighten it or replace it and the noise should go away.
jeepin_coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my 90 2.5l doesn't have a serpentine belt.
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
jeverett
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 87 4.2 does, but it seems to be Vbelts or serpentines with no reason or ascertainable pattern as to which year/model had which.
However I do agree it it is a loose belt, tighten and it should be fine. However before you tighten look for signs or wear or cracking, it may be stretched out enough that you need to replace. Also don't tighten it to much or you could ruin the bearings in your acc. that drive off of it.
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
farmboy1976
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Three Words for you.

Permatex belt dressing!!
It's the bomb. And cheaper the replacing your belts.
Hope this helps, here is a link.

http://www.permatex.com/heavy_duty/E...&item_no=80073
Replaces items since purchase: Tires, Top, Radiator, Starter, Slave Cylinder(twice), Clutch Master Cylinder, Lots of hoses, Ring Gear, Clutch, Rebuilt Starter, Water Temp Gauge, MC2150 carb, nutter bypass, Electric choke, TFI Distributor, replaced power steering box, Smittybilt front seats
farmboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

From what I read, 91 and up models all had a serpentine belt, as well as the earlier California models. The 87-90 non-California models had V-belts. But yeah, it's either a belt problem or something's up with whatever the belt is turning. Take the belt off, try turning each pulley by hand, see if anything feels funky. If the belt looks cracked or glazed, replace the belt. See if the problem goes away.
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Robbins

Cheaper than permatex belt dressing: A bar of soap. Seriously....with the engine running, carefully hold a bar of soap against the moving belt (if you loose a finger I didn't tell you to do that) on the side that contacts the pullies of course (or both sides on a serpentine) Bingo, no squeaky.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
JKNIPE2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins
Cheaper than permatex belt dressing: A bar of soap. Seriously....with the engine running, carefully hold a bar of soap against the moving belt (if you loose a finger I didn't tell you to do that) on the side that contacts the pullies of course (or both sides on a serpentine) Bingo, no squeaky.
that would be somewhat safe if you removed the fan and got your engine to idle at about..say 60RPM lol...other than that i wouldnt attempt it while running...

Currently no Jeep, but I'm in the market
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Robbins

I guess you could do it with the engine off if you just rubbed it down with the soap and then turned the engine over to expose the parts of the belt you couldn't reach... but the point is it really works. I've done it successfully with the engine running without losing any body parts, but not on a jeep...might be hard to reach in certain vehicles.
Unread 10-25-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
AFjeep

a cheap can of STP belt dressing worked on my jeep and nissan. no squeaks since I used a couple of months ago.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]95 YJ, 2.5L, flowmaster exhaust, pretty much stock. Future upgrades; 2.5" RE lift, 31" tires, Posi-Lock, cheap winch. Anyone wishing to donate funds, please PM me![/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
AFjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 04:15 PM   #11
Squall280

for some reason t only does it when its cold out. any difference?
Squall280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
Robbins

Don't think so...only difference would be the expansion/contraction of the belt due to temp that would make it slightly tighter when it's cold...probably just enough to make it squeak when a little bit either way would make it stop... or it slides easier on cold pullies maybe? Whatever is causing it, from your description it's absolutely the belt and any of the above remedies should help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.