Squeaking noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeaking noise

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
gunner-guru
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Squeaking noise

I am getting a squeaking sounds from my Jeep. It sounds like it is coming from the front end. I have done some searches on here and finding a lot of stuff about "angry sparrows". From what I know of a sparrow sounds it isn't making that kind of sound.

Here are the details that I have about the situation.

I recently changed my front brakes, calipers, and rotors. After the change I took the Jeep out for a test drive and I heard the squeak. I thought that maybe it was just new brakes setting it as the noise went away. A couple weeks later the noise came back. I took the front end apart and checked the brakes to see if there was something wrong and I didn't find anything. I put everything back together and I still have the noise.

The squeak will not show up right way when I start driving. It normally takes 5-10 miles until it starts making the noise. The squeak will show up when I slow down to a stop and accelerate from a stop. It also shows up when I am on and off my brakes going in and out of a sharp turn/corner. Some times the squeak will also show up when I hit a small to medium bump.

I haven't removed the front axle shafts yet to see if the noise would go away. I am hoping to work on it this weekend and my time is limited. I didn't want to start into something that isn't the correct thing and end up wasting my time on the wrong thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

gunner-guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well i have the "angry sparrow" squeak for now on my yj. annoys the crap out me. i knw exactly where mine comes from. do you have a lift on that jeep? if so what size cause my squeak comes from the trackbar relocator bracket on front axle cause its loose. are your bushings up there good and greased? how about your ujoints on front axles if bad or dried out they may make a squeak sound. thats all i can think of for now. check all that.
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
gunner-guru
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a lift on it. I have checked and greased anything with a grease fitting. The bushings were greased when I put the new ones in a few months back. I have a feeling it is the u-joints. I just wanted some one to confirm that is the problem because of the limited time I have to work on it this weekend. Thanks.
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner-guru View Post
I am getting a squeaking sounds from my Jeep.
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Brakedust?
Did you torque the caliper bolts correctly?
Serpentine belt?
Anything running off the belt?

While running and squeaking, take a big crewdriver and put it on the individual components while holding your ear on the handle (BE CAREFULL) cause it can slip. That's one way of locating chirps and squeaking.
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
gunner-guru
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Oops. Guess I wasn't paying attention last night when I typed that.

No brake dust I cleaned everything the other day when I tore it apart again.
Yes I used the correct torque on the caliper bolts.
It isn't the belt. I know a belt squeal sound and this isn't it.
Nothing running off the belt except stock stuff.

It would be hard to put a screwdriver to individual components when it squeaks. The sound only shows up when driving it. I would like to see my friend hanging off the Jeep with a screwdriver to his ear while I am driving down the road.

The squeak is has a cyclical sound to it.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

"I recently changed my front brakes, calipers, and rotors. After the change I took the Jeep out for a test drive and I heard the squeak."

Likely has something to do with it.

Brake pads will squeak if not installed properly. Some pads need the tabs bent to fit the caliper, some use "anti-squeak" shims, some use "anti-squeak" goo.

Pull your pads and look for shiny spots on the metal, that is what is squeaking.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.