Squeak/ squeal at 1500rpms? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeak/ squeal at 1500rpms?

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Squeak/ squeal at 1500rpms?

Im starting to notice a weird squeak, squeal that sounds like it is coming from the front end of my jeep.
If i start it up and let it idle its fine. Once i start to move it starts and almost sounds like a belt issue would. I find it weird because when i press the clutch to shift, the noise dissapears but returns when i let the clutch out. The more gas i give her the more she squeals. Its not a loud crazy squeal but just enough to wonder whats going on.
If it helps i just did a complete clutch kit so i dont think it would be the throwout bearing.
Any input?

bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mine just started to do the same thing, I'm thinking it is one of the bearings in the drives but I'm not for sure.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
OKwranglerYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Found out what mine was. It ended up being the idle bearing by the AC going out.
OKwranglerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc View Post
Im starting to notice a weird squeak, squeal that sounds like it is coming from the front end of my jeep.
If i start it up and let it idle its fine. Once i start to move it starts and almost sounds like a belt issue would. I find it weird because when i press the clutch to shift, the noise dissapears but returns when i let the clutch out. The more gas i give her the more she squeals. Its not a loud crazy squeal but just enough to wonder whats going on.
If it helps i just did a complete clutch kit so i dont think it would be the throwout bearing.
Any input?
If it is repeatable when depressing the clutch, then it does sound like a throw out bearing even though you state it was replaced. When you did the clutch work, did you buy OEM or very high quality parts? You can try temporarily removing you belt and see if the noise is still present, this would at least rule out all of the belt driven accessories and the belt itself.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't happen when i push the clutch in...it actually goes away when i push in the clutch
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc View Post
It doesn't happen when i push the clutch in...it actually goes away when i push in the clutch
Well, that is what I was getting to. If it was repeatable when the clutch was depressed/cycled. If Increased pressure on the throw out bearing causes the change in noise level, then the throw out bearing is highly suspect, regardless of it's age. Obviously, I hope this is not your case. But for a free and relatively easy check, remove you belt and start her up. If the noise is still present and still only changes with clutch, then what else could it be? I have experienced bad distributer shaft bushing noise before, but it is not associated with clutch use. If the noise is gone with the belt removed, then awesome, a much easier fix lies in your future.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.