sputtering missing flooding when in Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sputtering missing flooding when in Drive

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
hazelnut
1987 YJ Wrangler 

sputtering missing flooding when in Drive

I recently had my TF999 automatic rebuilt, and now when I am in drive and accelerating, I have a bad miss, sputter, and flooding. It is not close to as bad if I shift it manually in 1st or 2nd, just when I leave it in Drive. I have the stock Carter with the nutter bypass. It did not have this issue before, but my tranny and tcase were just hanging on until I blew them up.

Any ideas where I should start? I already changed the plugs, rotor, dist cap, etc with no change.

hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Missouribound
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This all happened after the tranny rebuild? hmmmm. Probably a coincidence. I's check the fuel pump pressure and output, change the fuel filter, and check the return line to the tank.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

First thing that I would do is toss the Carter out on the highway in front of a semi! Seriously though, I agree with Missouri that this sounds like more of a coincidence. There are a lot of threads on here about what to look for on the BBD. Check the fuel pressure and look to see if you have gas dripping in the carb. The sputter and flooding could be plugged venturi or a bad float. If you can find a Weber or Motorcraft 2100/2150 on craigslist or ebay, I'd snatch it up and change over the carb. I find the Weber easy to adjust and running the 38DGES on a stock motor I'm getting 17mpg with 31" tires.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.