Sputter, gas smell and limited speed - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkbull View Post
Thanks for the info dancytron and NonRubicon.
Well today was a long day. I started at about 11am getting the stuff I need and disassembling the carb. It was my first time doing this so it took a while. I cleaned what parts I could along the way. The whole time I just wanted to stop and put it back together, but I kept going. I laid out all my parts and pieces on a clean towel in the order they were taken off. I'll post pics later.
About 6PM I finally had all parts cleaned and others replaced with the new ones from the rebuild kit. Re-assembly was a bit daunting, and the FSM didn't provide very detailed pics, but I made it. At about 9PM the carb was put back together and ready to be installed back on the Jeep.
This is where my work came to a screeching halt. I had taken several "before" photos of the engine bay, all around the carb, what goes where, etc. What I had failed to do was to label my hoses. Some were obvious in the photos and the cable connections were too, but now I'm stuck cause I don't know what hoses go where.
I refered back to the FSM but there are only bits and pieces spread around the whole 1900 page manual and I even did a keyword search (I have a digital copy) and there aren't any full hose diagrams. Is there such a diagram out there? If there is, great, that'll make my finale of this project complete in the morning.
As I said, I'll post pictures tomorrow when it's all done. Thanks everyone.
not sure which hoses you mean, but have you looked at this:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, 6 cylinder 4.2L , 258. Nuttered and TeamRushed, Weber 38 DGES, Now, I'm venturing into the world of Grand Cherokees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what I was looking for http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm
Thank you monkeyhouse!!!
post #33 of 55 Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This is exactly what I was looking for http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vacuhose.htm
Thank you monkeyhouse!!!
Glad to hear it, post back on your results!

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, 6 cylinder 4.2L , 258. Nuttered and TeamRushed, Weber 38 DGES, Now, I'm venturing into the world of Grand Cherokees

post #34 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, the diagram is just too confusing. It's helpful, but only if someone can actually identify which hoses are which.
There are a couple hoses I'm still confused about.
This hose, going around the air cleaner, where did it go?

I think that hose connects to the back of the choke pulloff on the carb in this photo:

Notice there's a hose connected to a "T" connection. No idea what connects to that and there's the hose connected to the bottom of the carb that seems to have nowhere to go.
I know this isn't much info but hopefully one of you can help, maybe referring to your own YJ l6 engine. I'm stuck at this point and any help is appreciated!
post #35 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hard to tell what top picture is.

Bottom picture looks like it goes to the choke cutoff (the thing at the top of the picture).
post #36 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I got it all hooked up just fine. It's running now, but it's a little rough. Need to make some adjustments.
post #37 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So the issue now, is that it runs fine, but when hit the accelerator it chokes and almost stalls. But if I accelerate slowly it does OK. Any idea which adjustment needs to be made? Thanks.
post #38 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So the issue now, is that it runs fine, but when hit the accelerator it chokes and almost stalls. But if I accelerate slowly it does OK. Any idea which adjustment needs to be made? Thanks.
have you tried spraying around the hoses to see if any are leaking? Could be as simple as a vacuum leak.

post #39 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

@monkeyhouse I didn't do that, since I replaced all those hoses today cause a lot were cracked/leaking. Funny, cause it was running better before...
The issue is more apparent when cold. I come to a stop and it's idling really low, at around 450-600 rpm and I hit the gas it dies. I have to smoothly depress the accelerator to get it to go. I go through this process at every stop. After a about 15 minutes of continuous running, it seems to smooth out a bit, but it still isn't perfect.
Since I've done a rebuild of the carb, I'm sure some more adjustment is in order, but I don't know where... the idle mixture screws? Vacuum Throttle positioner?
Thanks again
post #40 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No Nutter, right?

That sounds like the choke isn't staying closed long enough. That's what mine does when I open my manual choke too quick.

Or maybe the sol vac isn't adjusted right. Try going through these adjustments. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/solvac.htm#setting

Per this, look at your idle pins and see if they are centered. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/idle.htm#Mix

Since you haven't done the Nutter, it could be a bad sensor too.
post #41 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
@monkeyhouse I didn't do that, since I replaced all those hoses today cause a lot were cracked/leaking. Funny, cause it was running better before...
The issue is more apparent when cold. I come to a stop and it's idling really low, at around 450-600 rpm and I hit the gas it dies. I have to smoothly depress the accelerator to get it to go. I go through this process at every stop. After a about 15 minutes of continuous running, it seems to smooth out a bit, but it still isn't perfect.
Since I've done a rebuild of the carb, I'm sure some more adjustment is in order, but I don't know where... the idle mixture screws? Vacuum Throttle positioner?
Thanks again
okay, sorry I thought the hoses looked old, but if you replaced, good deal. Still might wanna spray some carb cleaner around the carb mount to make sure. Also check out that carter manual, there is a troubleshooting section there....and definitely the link about by dancy.

post #42 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK I'll check that out.
I will most likely not do the Nutter bypass because I don't want to fail inspection next time around, unless it can be quickly reversed.
I know I need to replace the cat converter soon too cause I hear a lot of backpressure popping coming from there.
post #43 of 55 Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
OK I'll check that out.
I will most likely not do the Nutter bypass because I don't want to fail inspection next time around, unless it can be quickly reversed.
I know I need to replace the cat converter soon too cause I hear a lot of backpressure popping coming from there.
Yeah, we all understand reasons for not doing the nutter, and plenty of people have posted good results with the carter bbd and no nutter, so don't worry, you will be fine. Definitely get that cat addressed as well as it will affect your emissions testing.

post #44 of 55 Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
Yeah, we all understand reasons for not doing the nutter, and plenty of people have posted good results with the carter bbd and no nutter, so don't worry, you will be fine. Definitely get that cat addressed as well as it will affect your emissions testing.
Funny you should say that, when I bought the vehicle from the original owner, she got it approved for a two year inspection for the state of New Mexico. However, I think she knew the person and had that inspection altered. Hell, half the hoses were rotted, which is what I discovered when I was pulling the carb.

Anyway, here's a video of what it's doing. This mainly happens when I'm in first and I give it gas. It sputters and/or dies. The other thing, isn't that control lever supposed to be moving
nevermind the rattle during acceleration, that's the poor microphone quality of this camera.
post #45 of 55 Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
mgkbull
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a second video of my drive yesterday. I was going about 50mph and had the camera laying in the passenger seat. You can hear the cat sputtering and choking, especially while slowing down.

Tags
carburetor , carter carb , rebuild kit , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.