sputter at 10 min like clock work - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sputter at 10 min like clock work

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes i replaced the temp sensor near the tstat. i have not checked the fuel pressure yet. ill look at that, hopefully tonight.

Schmuds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thinking about the systems. After about 10 minutes of running your system should be switching from an open loop enriched to a closed loop.

Even if the sensors are working perfectly maybe the connections aren't. Maybe it is running a little lean and the switch over happens before the engine is quite warm enough to handle the lean mixture. Maybe the idle control valve is a little sticky and not switching smoothly. Maybe the injectors aren't getting the right pressure or are a little dirty and throwing a bad spray that is tougher to ignite in a not fully warmed up engine.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #18
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

10 minutes is about the length of time it takes to go into closed loop. I wonder if it is kicking out and trying to go back into closed loop. That would make it about 10 minutes. After you check the fuel pressure try disconnecting the O2 sensor and run it. It will run rich but it should stop the computer from trying to go into closed loop. Good call vadslram!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What if this is just a case of the ignition coil heating up in 10 minutes and the field collapses so you are losing a good spark?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so i stopped to think the other day of when i started having the problems. and it all started when i changed the crankshaft position sensor becuase it was not starting. so i started reading more on the forum and found a couple of threads that stated there is supposed to be a circular paper gasket on the tip of the crankshaft position sensor, and could not remember if i put one on it. i didnt remember this little part being included with the sensor i bought. so i started looking at the autozone website to try and find this little circular, self adhesive gasket. after some time i found the part name called a camshaft position sensor. so i ordered the 3.99 gasket, took the new crankshaft position sensor out and applied the little gasket to the tip of the sensor. the gasket is about 1/32 thick, i started it from sitting in my garage for about 2 days and no sputter after 10 miinutes...unbelievable...

so after about 200 dollars worth of new sensors on my heap it was a 3.99 fix. atleast my 201k teenager has all new sensors....

thanks for all the help fellas i really do appreciate it.

ill update in about a week or so, its hard to believe that was the problem all along...jeeeez.
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuds View Post
so i stopped to think the other day of when i started having the problems. and it all started when i changed the crankshaft position sensor becuase it was not starting. so i started reading more on the forum and found a couple of threads that stated there is supposed to be a circular paper gasket on the tip of the crankshaft position sensor, and could not remember if i put one on it. i didnt remember this little part being included with the sensor i bought. so i started looking at the autozone website to try and find this little circular, self adhesive gasket. after some time i found the part name called a camshaft position sensor. so i ordered the 3.99 gasket, took the new crankshaft position sensor out and applied the little gasket to the tip of the sensor. the gasket is about 1/32 thick, i started it from sitting in my garage for about 2 days and no sputter after 10 miinutes...unbelievable...

so after about 200 dollars worth of new sensors on my heap it was a 3.99 fix. atleast my 201k teenager has all new sensors....

thanks for all the help fellas i really do appreciate it.

ill update in about a week or so, its hard to believe that was the problem all along...jeeeez.
That 'gasket' is a spacer that automatically 'gaps' the CRANK (not O2) sensor when it is being installed. When you fire up the engine it gets knocked off.

After all our input though......you fixed it all by yourself!!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."

Last edited by laybackman; 11-14-2013 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: my brain is freakin' fried crank sensor NOT O2...duh
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

His problem was the CP sensor not the O2.
I'm not sure what the effect was but it must have been like the old "dwell" where since the CP was closer to sender it registered the pulse earlier.
but 1/32"...I'm glad I de-modernized mine.
I had an old Tradesman van that ran for almost half a year with three of the plug wires switched. Ran like hell but it did run.
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
His problem was the CP sensor not the O2.
I'm not sure what the effect was but it must have been like the old "dwell" where since the CP was closer to sender it registered the pulse earlier.
but 1/32"...I'm glad I de-modernized mine.
I had an old Tradesman van that ran for almost half a year with three of the plug wires switched. Ran like hell but it did run.
Good catch...I gotta start drinking again....

Unread 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That tab doesn't do anything. Unless the sensor was loose the spacer gets ripped off as soon as you start it. The distance the sensor detects the flywheel is not that tight of a tolerance. Besides the 10 minute description really doesn't match the fault. Keep the thread updated if it changes. I can't see the relationship and would like to know if you have fixed it by doing it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I noticed he never unplugged the negative battery cable (or did he?) to reset the ECM and the sensors after reinstalling. Perhaps it had enough run time to adjust itself?
Unclear.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yes i unplugged the negative terminal after installing the new sensors to reset the computer. its hard for me to believe that the fix was that little circular paper thing but that is the only thing i have done to it and now it runs like a champ. ill keep this updated.
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #27
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a happy accident. You may have just had a bad connection somewhere and when you messed around to replace the gasket you made the connection.
Don't question the Jeep gods, they are capricious and can turn on you at the worst moment.
Just sacrifice a toyota part and pray they are appeased.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.