sputter at 10 min like clock work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > sputter at 10 min like clock work

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sputter at 10 min like clock work

thanks in advance for reading.

I have a 95 Yj 4.0 automatic that just turned 201k. it wouldn't start last week, needed a new fuel pump because it would not even prime so i cut a trap door to get to the tank so i didn't have to drop it. i replaced it and it still wouldn't start but i could hear the pump priming now so i checked for codes and nothing just a 12 and 55, so i did some research and found out that i had a bad crankshaft position sensor. replaced and it starts right up, YIPPIE! after letting it idle in my driveway for 10 minutes it idles like crap. then after about a minute of idling like crap it goes away and it idles great without any sign of sputtering or loss of power.

before i did the fuel pump i replaced plugs, wires, and distributer cap because winter is coming.

now every time i start my jeep i have to let it idle in the driveway for 10 minutes so i do not have the sputtering issue on the road and have a loss of power, but like i said it goes away and drives great after the initial 10 minutes. so yesterday i took off the throttle body and cleaned it. while i had it off i read somewhere on this forum that it may be a bad/dirty IAC so i just bought a new one since she just turned 201k. i also read somewhere on this forum that it may be a bad TPS sensor so i just bought a new one and put that one on. i kept the battery disconnected for about 10minutes then started it up hoping that the sensors were my problem. sure enough 10 minutes later it sputters and has a loss of power...grrr. i check the codes again and it says that TPS is too high or too low. did i really just put in a new part and get a code that says the new part is defective? so i disconnect the battery again, clean the old TPS and put it back in. now i checked the codes again and it is the same code coming back...TPS is too high or too low.

so all in all i have a new code saying a new part and the old part are defective, and still have a sputtering issue pretty much exactly at 10 minutes from a cold start up. i do not have the sputtering problem the rest of the day just in the morning when it starts cold. i am assuming this problem will continue to get worse the colder it gets...suburbs of Chicago get freezing in the next couple of months.

so all i can think of is a bad O2 sensor but wouldn't that come up when i check the codes? the reason for the thought of the O2 sensor is due to maybe a closed/open loop problem. I have not checked the fuel pressure in the line but i dont think it is that because it has gas getting to the fuel injectors when it starts up and after the sputtering.

any tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
schmuds

Schmuds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

After replacing the sensors mentioned, you should have taken the + battery cable off of your battery and grounded the end of it out for 30 seconds or so. That dumps the learned memory in your ECU. Hook the + battery cable back up, fire it up and take it for a ride when the engine is cold.

DO NOT sit there at idle. The ECU needs to relearn and only does that when you go from cold to hot engine driving.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Warm up idle issue = bad temp sensor near the tstat housing(it has another one for the guage) and clean the throttlebody and remove the IAC from it and clean it.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

definitely a temperature related sensor issue. Depending on how stock your engine is it could be coolant temp, Incoming air, EGR, or cold start enrichment(choke). If you can get a decent ODBII reader you should be able to track what sensors you have and what is actually happening before during and after the stumble. That will tell you the problem.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies fellas! i took off the negative terminal for about 5 minutes before i reattached it. ill try with the positive terminal tonight.

i took off the throttle body and cleaned it when i replaced the IAC and the TPS.

my engine is stock, besides the radiator and hoses.

where can i get an ODBII reader?

so its not an O2 sensor? in all my research on here i found nothing stating my symptoms as a bad temperature sensor. do i need to drain any coolant before i change that sensor on the T-stat housing?
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's high on the engine so loss will be minimal. Did you clean the hole the iac slides into?
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When i replaced my tps i had to return it five times before i got a good one and i have heard of others having to do this to that could b a good starting point
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most good auto parts stores have loaner readers but you can get ones that read '95 codes for 30 bucks on ebay. I paid $100 for a newer one that reads some ABS and trans codes.
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

how about the bluetooth ODBII readers from amazon? Id love to download an app and have my codes show up on my phone. anyone have any good experiences with them?

yes i cleaned the hole that the IAC goes into before i placed the new one in.

i also put shell v-power in my tank in hopes of cleaning it out and it seems that the sputtering is less frequent but it is still there. maybe bad gas as well? idk just trying to think of everything...
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The BT ones should work fine and "MIGHT" be better. It all depends on what the circuitry is on the transmitter. It would be nice to be able to link to the web direct from a code to decipher it.
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj is obd 1! Temp sensor.
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Schmuds
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i changed the temp sensor and it still sputters at 10 min, but less than what it has done the past week.

I also checked codes and just a 12 and 55 so the TPS problem is fixed with taking the positive terminal off the battery. any other guesses for a muddy idle besides the O2 sensors?

should i really get a ODB 1 reader when all it does is do the flash engine light thing i can do when i turn the key on, then off, then on, then off, then on?
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The reader will tell you more and more clearly what is going on. But you don't have to buy one, try the auto parts store loaner first. They usually have one of the top middle quality ones.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You replaced the temp sensor near the tstat on not the one on the rear? Just making sure. The only other thing that makes any sense in the air temp sensor.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you recheck your fuel pressure after you replace the fuel pump?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.