Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

springs

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NaeKid 
#1 ·
Hey all. In the next month or 2 I am going to have to do something with my springs. As it is right now all 4 are flatter than any of my walls. I want to know about my 2 options. Option one is to get the bent back to shape with a add a leaf. My other option is just get new aftermarket springs. What would any of you suggest. Keep in mind I am on a tight budget. Also I need a new exhaust and a cat. What should I get for that?

------------------
JR 95yj bone stock for now

#2 ·
By the sound of it, I'd say you should just get a set of Rancho full length add a leaves and slap them in there. You won't need to do anything else to your springs. Cost you about $150.

Otherwise, I'd be looking into kits if you can afford them.

------------------
Matt Osburn
http://members.home.net/osburn

#6 ·
My Jeep is at stock height. I will be doing a lift but not for a couple years I think. But with all 4 springs sagging it makes for a hard ride. I am also for ever hitting my bump stops. So I want to get it back to stock height for now and in the future when the wife gets her car and I have some spare cash I will be going with a lift.

#9 ·
Originally posted by JR:
My Jeep is at stock height. I will be doing a lift but not for a couple years I think. But with all 4 springs sagging it makes for a hard ride. I am also for ever hitting my bump stops. So I want to get it back to stock height for now and in the future when the wife gets her car and I have some spare cash I will be going with a lift.
Add-a-leaves (and the Rancho full-length is the only one I'd recommend by the way) will put you slightly taller than stock. Not enough to warrant any other changes to your Jeep though. And, if down the road you decide to go SOA, you'll have a very good set of springs to get started.

Rearching is a very temporary solution. The springs usually settle right back to where they were pretty quickly.

------------------
Matt Osburn
http://members.home.net/osburn

#11 ·
Just to let you know, my poor springs are also completely shot on my 88 YJ .. I just picked up a Superlift 4" kit for my baby, and if things go well, I will have it installed this weekend (weather holding). I will have enough room to remove my bald AllTerrain tires and slap on 33" by 12.5 on my stock 15" rims (I am crossing my fingers).

I heard that removing my fender flares and cutting away the tub enough to mount the TJ flares would give me enough room to fit in 35" tires (with proper offset). I am not going to go that route until I can find a Dana 44 to go into the front and rear ..

The other option was to go with a 2.5" lift, cut the fenders out and fit 32" or maybe 33" tires ..

Laters!

------------------
Vance - 88 YJ Laredo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.