springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > springs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
jeep16
1990 YJ Wrangler 

springs

i am planning on doing SOA this year and im getting everything planned right now. i want to run a leaf spring with between 0 and 1.5 inches of lift. iv heard horror storied about stock leafs breaking with SOA setups. any recommendations or experiences that you guys can share with me? thanks

jeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

HA! I was on Long Island, NY all this weekend. I could have shared countless firsthand experiences with you concerning this topic.

Anyway, depending on how its set-up & what terrain its going to be subjected to most frequently, leaf choice should/is certainly a consideration. The lighter it is & the lighter the axles & smaller the tires, you can get away from running "lighter" equipment & less lift.

On the other hand, if its going to be running 1 ton axles, heavy aftermarket add-ons or heavy homebrew modifications & BIG tires, DEEP gearing and aggressively driven in BIG rocks, I would consider a leaf designed to carry more weight and built to handle tough stuff. Otherwise, it'll be a piece of junk & suffer from fatigued suspension issues early.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
jeep16
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ahh man where at on long idland? im going to be running my current 8.8 and d30 setup with 410s. wont be going larger than 35s and for the most part the wheeling that i do is on the rocks... so the springs are going to get a workout.
jeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you aren't going with a stretch, the rubicon express 1.5" springs have a good reputation for longevity and the warranty will hold up to any thing you'll throw at it. I doubt you'll use it though.
Unread 03-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep16 View Post
ahh man where at on long idland? im going to be running my current 8.8 and d30 setup with 410s. wont be going larger than 35s and for the most part the wheeling that i do is on the rocks... so the springs are going to get a workout.
I was mainly in the Port Jefferson area.

I plan on being on Long Island again this weekend. Same area as before.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I was mainly in the Port Jefferson area.

I plan on being on Long Island again this weekend. Same area as before.
Joe, you were right by my aunts house! She lives in Port Jeff.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.