Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Springs?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
djbckr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Springs?

Hi everyone. New Jeep owner as of a couple weeks ago. Bought an '88 YJ that needs a bit of TLC. My first big project will be to replace all the springs, shocks, steering stabilizer, and all the bushings. I'll probably wind up replacing the bearings and ball joints too, but haven't decided that yet.

I intend to use my Jeep, but not abuse it. Nothing truly outrageous, the occasional 4-wheeling when opportunity knocks.

With that said, I'm looking to replace the springs and wondered if it would be a good thing to put "5-leaf regular" leaves all around, or stick with the 4 in front and 5 in back. It seems like the front would be heavier normally so I'm not sure why they would be lighter.

And just to verify, the front and back are the same size, correct?

Thanks in advance!
--Dean

djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome

The springs are the same length. Generally heavier ones go in the back if there is a hard top. Nothing on a YJ is ever normal, standard or as expected.

Before you do anything consider future plans. Six months from now if you want a little bigger tires or a better ride you'll wish you thought it through more.

Occasional 4 wheeling and abuse has many definitions. What are you actually planning to do?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
djbckr

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hi jbolty,

I appreciate your candid reply. Let's put it this way - I won't take my Jeep on something like your picture shows. Not even close. The occasional back trail, snow and/or mud, but nothing crazy.

My Jeep has oversized tires on it now, and a body lift. It appears to have regular, unmodified, probably original suspension. The springs are obviously shot, and I'm willing to bet the shocks and steering stabilizer (which is rusty) are original. It's also a soft top.

If I tow anything it'll be light but I need to get the engine/tranny checked out before I do something like that.

--Dean
djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.