Spring sag question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring sag question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Spring sag question

Hi guys. Quick rundown: I have stock springs on my 94 Yj, so needless to say, they're FLAT. On top of that, I have 1.25" lift shackles because I like the stance, plus the grease-able bolts. My question is: If I were to get new springs, stock height, (with my lift shackles) how long would it be before they are in the same sagged shape. Also, would I just be game ahead to get a 2.5" lift and go back to stock shackles. Any help is appreciated.

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just get add a leafs and take your springs to a spring shop. Tell them how you want them to ride, and if it is a good spring shop that is how they will be. They can also adjust them so you only get the amount of lift you want within reason. Should cost you about $150-$200 plus the leafs. In my experience it is the best way to get the ride quality you want. If you get stock springs they will wear out fast (since I assume you would get used), and if you get cheap lift springs they will ride like crap.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Just get add a leafs and take your springs to a spring shop. Tell them how you want them to ride, and if it is a good spring shop that is how they will be. They can also adjust them so you only get the amount of lift you want within reason. Should cost you about $150-$200 plus the leafs. In my experience it is the best way to get the ride quality you want. If you get stock springs they will wear out fast (since I assume you would get used), and if you get cheap lift springs they will ride like crap.
I actually had not even considered used springs. I was just looking at brand new ones, stock lift. Also, I don't know of any shops like that around me that I would want to work on it anyway, a FEW might be able to figure it out. Heres the predicament- I don't really want to spend the money on a nice lift such as a rubicon express or OME, because I've decided that I've reached, or passed, the point of where I have spent too much on my Jeep for there to be any future profit margin, so that is the basis of all of my thinking.
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94 View Post
If I were to get new springs, stock height, (with my lift shackles) how long would it be before they are in the same sagged shape.
That's an unpredictable question, unless I used my crystal ball.

If you got a set of new ones from a crappy company - you take your chances and time would be short.

Use a top quality company like Alcan, or National Spring, it would more than likely be years & years, possibly decades.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
That's an unpredictable question, unless I used my crystal ball.

If you got a set of new ones from a crappy company - you take your chances and time would be short.

Use a top quality company like Alcan, or National Spring, it would more than likely be years & years, possibly decades.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean, adding the lift shackles flattened out the current ones pretty quickly, but they are ragged out 19 year old springs.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestes94 View Post

I actually had not even considered used springs. I was just looking at brand new ones, stock lift. Also, I don't know of any shops like that around me that I would want to work on it anyway, a FEW might be able to figure it out. Heres the predicament- I don't really want to spend the money on a nice lift such as a rubicon express or OME, because I've decided that I've reached, or passed, the point of where I have spent too much on my Jeep for there to be any future profit margin, so that is the basis of all of my thinking.
Spring shops are around if you look for them, just like drive line shops. As far as the work, you pull them yourself and just bring them the springs. Without a doubt it is the most bang for your buck. That is the only thing spring shops do usually.

I learned quite a bit about this subject when I destroyed my front passenger spring on a pipe sticking up out of the ground. At least I thought I destroyed it. Can't even tell it happened now.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
lestes94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Spring shops are around if you look for them, just like drive line shops. As far as the work, you pull them yourself and just bring them the springs. Without a doubt it is the most bang for your buck. That is the only thing spring shops do usually.

I learned quite a bit about this subject when I destroyed my front passenger spring on a pipe sticking up out of the ground. At least I thought I destroyed it. Can't even tell it happened now.
I'll do some checking around, thanks.
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ya your best bet would be to thumb around on the web and see what people are taking outta junkyards and adding to the stock pack. You could pick the parts and put the pack back together yourself for a pretty low cost, if that's what your aiming for. Worst case you get some leafs that lift it a little then ditch the shackles to keep your stance.
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The longest they will last is 19 years. Your best bet would be to ditch them and get some 2" lift springs and stock shackles and be done with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.