JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Spring Rate Spring Info Thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/spring-rate-spring-info-thread-353173/)

mississippi_xj 12-22-2006 09:47 AM

Spring Rate Info Thread

Here is some stuff I decided to compile for future refference. This came from the "Who has the softest rideing 2.5in lift?" thread. Spring rate is per pair unless otherwise noted.

Spring Maker .......Lift .........Rate Front (lbs/in) ...............Rate Rear (lbs/in)
------------.........---- .......------------------...............-----------------
Tuff Country ....... 2.5 ................205 ....................................255
BDS ....................2.5 ................299 ....................................299
Old Man Emu ........2.5 ................185 ....................................208
Black Diamond ......3.5 ................240 ....................................250
Waggy (7leaf front) 2 .................210 .....................................---
Rustys (5leaf).........4 .................165.............................. .......165
Pro Comp...............4..................287......... ............................228
Rubicon Express....4.5..................210............... ......................224
Rancho 44050.......2.5.................175............... .......................---
Yj (unconfirmed)....0.0.................174.......... ...........................190

Notes:
--------
The OME springs speced are J1R and J1R 4 leaf and 5 leaf accordingly.

Ryans_GP 12-22-2006 11:11 AM

Pro Comp..........4".........F.287..........R.228
RE...................4.5".......F.210..........R.2 24

atomicmoose 12-22-2006 12:16 PM

Where are you guys getting this info?

mississippi_xj 12-22-2006 02:06 PM

I called black diamond and tuff country. don't remember where I got the ome numbers. the waggy numbers are from a couple of other forums....

yarosig 12-22-2006 02:30 PM

BDS makes to kinds of spring packs. One is standard and other is heavy duty.
EDit: wait nvm thats for the 3.5" lift.

hogzilla 12-22-2006 02:39 PM

Thanks, I was just about to start looking for this info ! :thumbsup:
Why does it seem that the softer riding spring is up front for some ? wouldn't you want the stiffer ones there because of the extra weight ? Or am I not getting it.....

mississippi_xj 12-22-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogzilla
Thanks, I was just about to start looking for this info ! :thumbsup:
Why does it seem that the softer riding spring is up front for some ? wouldn't you want the stiffer ones there because of the extra weight ? Or am I not getting it.....

Towing....

leftlanetruckin 12-22-2006 04:50 PM

that will explain why my old man emu rides soooo good then...:thumbsup:
good job on gathering the info xj, well done mate!
btw you ever get the sye sorted out??

PhilipJ 12-22-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicmoose
Where are you guys getting this info?

Here's a quick calculator... just plug in your numbers. It might not be exact because there are ways to figure in military wrap, clamps, anti-friction pads and other factors. But it should be pretty close.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/leafspringrate.htm

Burnerman 12-22-2006 07:21 PM

Looks like I'm in for a rough ride!:eek: :D I have the BDS 2" springs in the garage ready to go. Nice info guys.. Hopefully others shopping for a small DD lift will find this info. It really doesn't matter for me but it is something that should be considered since a smooth ride isn't a big factor.
Great job guys!:thumbsup:

93YJfalcon 12-22-2006 09:29 PM

I wonder if there is a trade off. Maybe the higher the spring rate the longer before they sag? Does anyone know if this would hold true?

Burnerman 12-22-2006 09:39 PM

Yeah.. anyone know the rate of the stock springs??? It took 17 years for mine to wear out!:laugh:

sentinal02 12-22-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
I wonder if there is a trade off. Maybe the higher the spring rate the longer before they sag? Does anyone know if this would hold true?

certainly. springs are designed to have a certain number of deflection cycles throughout their life. a higher rate spring will deflect less than one with a lower rate so all things being equal the "harder" springs will last longer before wearing out. the down side though is that being harder you get less flex out of them offroad. cyclical lifespan has to do with materials as well as design factors, so you can of course get a high quality, soft spring like say the OME that lasts just as long as one of the harder ones. :thumbsup:

Big-n-Broke-YJ 12-22-2006 10:48 PM

anyone know the spring rate of superlift's 3.5" springs? or the RE 1.5" SOA springs?

this thread is great...

flame0086 12-22-2006 11:51 PM

I wonder if the spring rate has something to do with BDS's awsome warranty.

As for the spring rate vs. sag topic: The more the object moves and bends, the more out of initial state it will become. One thing to note is that there is a point on all springs that if you excede the streching limits, it will "break" the spring (when I say break, it could just not bend back into its normal position). However, on vehicles this isn't really a problem becuase coils do not have forces streching them, and leafs have bump stops.

The time now is 01:36 PM.