Spring over without axle wrap (traction) bar, who's done it?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring over without axle wrap (traction) bar, who's done it??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
redmanwalking

Spring over without axle wrap (traction) bar, who's done it??

I have most of the parts together to do a spring over conversion on my YJ. I'm currently running a Rough Country 4" lift and I'm looking for more "compliance" out of my Jeep.

I am using stock YJ springs, an 8.8 with 4.10's and limited slip. I have a SYE and a CV driveshaft. I'm going to run my 33's for now.

I am getting very mixed reviews on running or not running an axle wrap (traction) bar. I've seen the kits out there but don't know if its worth spending the money. I've been told with the spring over perches and my tire size, it won't be a problem. I've been told that with stock springs and no bar, it will wrap immediately. So...

Who out there in spring over land is not using a wrap bar with stock springs?

Who ran without one and ended up having to add one? Did it compromise the spring once it wrapped?

The quicker I get this figured out the quicker I can stop going to my chiropractor after a wheeling trip and discover this strange thing called "flex".

redmanwalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I run one. Don't see any reason not to. Would you rather save the money now, then have to replace rear springs and DS ujoints later down the rd? If you don't want to spend the money to buy a prefabbed one just make it yourself. I've made a couple and they're stupid simple

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
bmgadg
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I built mine. It was a necessity for my rig. I was getting major axle wrap that was snapping yokes.

My YJ Build Thread Magnum 5.9L 360, full width SOA
bmgadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Either put one in at day one, or break shtako for as long as your wallet and pain level last, then put one in.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmanwalking View Post
I have most of the parts together to do a spring over conversion on my YJ. I'm currently running a Rough Country 4" lift and I'm looking for more "compliance" out of my Jeep.

I am using stock YJ springs, an 8.8 with 4.10's and limited slip. I have a SYE and a CV driveshaft. I'm going to run my 33's for now.

I am getting very mixed reviews on running or not running an axle wrap (traction) bar. I've seen the kits out there but don't know if its worth spending the money. I've been told with the spring over perches and my tire size, it won't be a problem. I've been told that with stock springs and no bar, it will wrap immediately. So...

Who out there in spring over land is not using a wrap bar with stock springs?

Who ran without one and ended up having to add one? Did it compromise the spring once it wrapped?

The quicker I get this figured out the quicker I can stop going to my chiropractor after a wheeling trip and discover this strange thing called "flex".

You note that everyone above this post has mentioned getting one. I'll be no different.

I will first clarify tire size as a component of axle wrap. It's not. As long as the tire can gain traction...you will encounter axle wrap, however minimal or extensive it is. A 33" tire can gain 100% traction the same as a 35" tire....therefor, axle wrap is inevitable. Traction + torque = axle wrap. You can minimize it with military wrap springs and extra leafs clamped in there...but then your taking away from the reason you want SOA....flex. As mentioned above, put it on now and save yourself headache later. To answer your other question, yes...it will damage the spring if you "go to far".

Note the next picture, the guys to the left have the "startled" look about them. They had just heard my axle wrap to the point of shearing off my anti-wrap bar from the axle tube, causing the chain reaction of the driveshaft snapping in two and coming up through the floorboard...ironically, the "obstacle" was called Double whammy.

Unread 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll join the chorus of been there, tried that.

I started out with an 8.8 & SOA with 33" tires with no anti-wrap bar. Mistake....
Like most others I quickly learned the need for the anti-wrap bar as I was bending the crap out of springs, blew a rear driveshaft, etc.
I fab'd up an anti-wrap bar based the DIY version on Pirate. Problem solved. Spring lasted much longer and no more axle wrap.
Moved up to 35's and it still worked great.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
redmanwalking

I appreciate the input fellas. Consider it done.
redmanwalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I am currently filling my bucket-list of parts for a SOA, and one of the parts that I am going to get is the traction bar. Sure, I have read and heard on several sources that axle-wrap can be reduced or eliminated by installing an add-a-leaf to your spring pack. But, as Helldorado Customs has stated, you will be taking away from the flex that you are looking for.

Just remember, it is always better to do it right the first time.

A thought to ponder on. Some people can't afford to do it right the first time, but end up doing it for the second time.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs View Post
You note that everyone above this post has mentioned getting one. I'll be no different.

I will first clarify tire size as a component of axle wrap. It's not. As long as the tire can gain traction...you will encounter axle wrap, however minimal or extensive it is. A 33" tire can gain 100% traction the same as a 35" tire....therefor, axle wrap is inevitable. Traction + torque = axle wrap. You can minimize it with military wrap springs and extra leafs clamped in there...but then your taking away from the reason you want SOA....flex. As mentioned above, put it on now and save yourself headache later. To answer your other question, yes...it will damage the spring if you "go to far".

Note the next picture, the guys to the left have the "startled" look about them. They had just heard my axle wrap to the point of shearing off my anti-wrap bar from the axle tube, causing the chain reaction of the driveshaft snapping in two and coming up through the floorboard...ironically, the "obstacle" was called Double whammy.
Scott? It sure looks like your YJ ahead and mine from the passenger door area taking the pic.

BOT: I know you already mentioned it - but this is for the folks who'll be reading/searching this forum.....Yea, get a traction bar, you'll thank yourself.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am one of the ones that ran without it.
At the time I did my first SOA I really did not know about axle wrap.
I was blowing out rear driveshafts left and right.
It got exspensive real quick. I even got to the point that I carried a spare driveshaft. I could change it out on the trail in 5 min. or less.
CV driveshafts are exspensive.
I was running RE SOA springs with stockish spring perches.
Now with that said I do have freinds that run SOA with out a anti wrap bar.
Most also run V 8s and do not have a problem.
I am really not sure why.
Longer spring perches with heavier springs maybe?
They all seem to flex well.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Scott? It sure looks like your YJ ahead and mine from the passenger door area taking the pic.

BOT: I know you already mentioned it - but this is for the folks who'll be reading/searching this forum.....Yea, get a traction bar, you'll thank yourself.

Cheers Joe ! Hows life in cali treatin ya ??
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
wickedoffroad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As stated above, get it on early. I went with a rancho 4.5 inch springs and SOA. Always had a thunk or clack when starting out or letting the clutch out when shifting. I would climb out and loook everything over, shaking this, pulling that and everything was tight. The other day the jeep was acting funny. Felt like the rear was hopping. Made it the 30 miles to home on the freeway (60+ mph) Pulled into the alley about 200 yards from home, SNAP. Jeep locked up. The CV joint was sheered in two and the driveline was firmly crammed up into my exhaust. I was extremely lucky that it didnt go out on the freeway at top speed. Save yourself the expense, work and possible danger and do it with the SOA.
wickedoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmanwalking View Post
I appreciate the input fellas. Consider it done.
Well? Did you Install an anti-wrap bar?

BTDT ...Got a broken axle flange to prove it. SOA= Anti-wrap bar.

Happier now. Nuthin' broke to prove it.
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Either put one in at day one, or break shtako for as long as your wallet and pain level last, then put one in.
i did the second one and regret it haha
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
rshbutch
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Spring over,no traction bar. Been running ducy-ershim trail for years. Axle wrap has never been an issue. Auto vs stick, stick will need the bar,auto is kinder to the drive line
rshbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.