Spring Over vs. Spring Under - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring Over vs. Spring Under

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
gnisty
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Spring Over vs. Spring Under

I am interested in putting a very small lift on my '87 YJ. I don't want more than about 2.5". Even 1.5" would be ok.

Can anyone offer me opinions or stories that are good, bad or indifferent for a spring over conversion?

Last edited by gnisty; 04-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: mis spelling
gnisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It isn't as cheap as you would think and its more like a 5 inch lift. You really should have some type of high steer setup which can get more expensive than a small lift kit.

My vote is OME 2.5 inch lift. If you wanted like 1.5 inches just get their light duty and it should be close to 2 after it's broken in.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
dimatrod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

SOA will give you a ~4" lift, and you'll have to invest in other things, including a SYE kit or transfer case drop.

You can easily manage a 2" lift by adding an extra leaf, be it custom made or from a chevy S10. You'll have a slightly stiffer ride, but the extra clearance is great. Later on you might think about a tummy tuck, which will grant you higher clerance and will include a body lift, also giving you space for bigger tires (even higher clearance).
dimatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnisty View Post
I am interested in putting a very small lift on my '87 YJ. I don't want more than about 2.5". Even 1.5" would be ok.

Can anyone offer me opinions or stories that are good, bad or indifferent for a spring over conversion?
Spring Over is not for you.... yet

look at 2" lift springs for spring under
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnisty View Post
I am interested in putting a very small lift on my '87 YJ.
Then forget about a spring over.

If you want something in the 2.5" range then get a 2.5" lift spring kit.

If you want less you can go up at an inch with a shackle lift and another inch on body lift and keep your stock springs.

What size tires are you trying to run? Will you be doing much off roading?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
gnisty
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
What size tires are you trying to run? Will you be doing much off roading?
Currently, this Jeep is my daily driver. I spend my weekends at the river, running ATV trails, racing my buddy in the sand, and low water crossing for island hopping. We probably burn a tank or two on a good weekend at the river.

For this Jeep, I am just wanting a little more clearance for some of the minor obstacles that we encounter. Its a YJ, so I won't be doing any heavy wheeling in it until I can change out the entire drive train.

The biggest tires I'll run, with this drive train, are 31". Currently, I have 235/75R15's. With a tape measure, they measure just over 27.5". I will most likely leave them installed untill the tires actually need replaced.
gnisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
MudWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have SOA lift and trust me for the wheeling you are planning to do you do not want the hassle or the spending of $$$$$$ involved in a SOA

Bry
MudWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you only plan on going up to 31's at the most don't even consider SOA. Those tires would be waaaay too small in my opinion. A spring over will net you at least 5.5" of lift. And it would be much more expensive than a small or medium suspension lift if done right.

Most guys running a spring over are on at least 35's.

For 31's you could just swap in a 1" body lift and some small lift shackles and call it good. You don't even need lift springs to get 31's under the YJ.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
RUBICON_TERRY

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with THENEWBIE he hit the nail on the head for what you do a one inch body lift and a small shackle increase will work perfect for you and will not break the bank
RUBICON_TERRY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.