Is the spring over axel (SOA) street legal??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is the spring over axel (SOA) street legal???

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:16 PM   #1
92Wrangler15

Is the spring over axel (SOA) street legal???

I was wondering if you put the springs on top of the axels if it is steet legal or not. I hear good things about this conversion, and was also wondering if I would need an additional lift if I wanted to put 32 inch tires on??
THx

Unread 03-07-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
dennisuello
1997 TJ Wrangler 

SOA is legal, look under a lot of trucks and even Cherokee, they are SOA stock. SOA gives you about 5" of lift and you can fit 33s comfortably. If you go that route I'd suggest replacing stock springs with some heavy-duty ones.
SOA requires other modifications if you were to do it right. You'll need SYE, steering correction. You'll need to regear to push those bigger tires, too.

Quote:
Originally posted by 92Wrangler15:
I was wondering if you put the springs on top of the axels if it is steet legal or not. I hear good things about this conversion, and was also wondering if I would need an additional lift if I wanted to put 32 inch tires on??
THx

Unread 03-07-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
ebhub

SOA may be legal but if you drive the jeep on the street you might want to check local lift laws.I know here in Mass they can be real pains about your heigth.If you go too high(if there is such a thing)you might be asking for trouble when you drive it.
ebhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:22 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm damn near positive there's a few states where the SOA conversion is not legal. It is legal in California. That's the only one I'm sure of. Oh, and Arizona I would imagine. Anything is legal there. The rest you'll have to check for yourself.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
evilpsych

hey os.. how'd you manage to squeeze that NV4500 in yoru rig with only a 1" body lift? just lookin at your site there..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2002, 07:37 PM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

By "massaging" the tranny tunnel.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.