spongy clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > spongy clutch

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

spongy clutch

So recently I noticed I have to floor the clutch to shift. Never done this before. So checked the fluid and whatta ya know... bone dry. Gonna fill and bleed tonite but I have never noticed a leak. Is it possible to just go through fluid without a leak? Have to admit with all the work I have done to the jeep I never checked the clutch fluid. So not sure how long it has been low.

Unread 06-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it is dry its leaking somewhere. Probably just a slow leak. You should check around the bellhousing really well. Unless it was modified you have an internal slave and the are notorius for going bad.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
If it is dry its leaking somewhere. Probably just a slow leak. You should check around the bellhousing really well. Unless it was modified you have an internal slave and the are notorius for going bad.
X2. These have the internal slave cylinder which have been known to leak without ever knowing.
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also check the Master cyl. The MC leaks inside of your rig. Feel the fire wall behind the clutch pedal and up for wetness.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That is what I was going to say. I pulled out my floor mat and it was damp. Slowly leaked out of the piston.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So no way there is an internal leak of some sort? If it is leaking it must be visible? Sorry for the ignorance, this is a whole new realm for me.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Had the same issue, i didn't ever catch a leak - but my clutch was shot for the most part. the internal slave ended up going.
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You have an obvious hydraulic issue. If the floor board is wet where the push rod from the clutch pedal meets the master cylinder at the firewall, then your Master cylinder is bad. If this is the case, the replace the master and bleed the system. Start budgeting though for a slave replacement. The Slave will fail soon after a master failure. Some what due to them having equal lifespans, but then it is accelerated when the master goes sour as it sends debris south down the line to the slave.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.