Spongy brakes/no brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Spongy brakes/no brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Spongy brakes/no brakes

Hey, i replaced my brake hose today, and bled the brakes numerous times on each side as well as gravity bled them. The brakes feel really strong when the jeep is turned off but as soon as it starts running the brakes go basically dead and too the floor. i can't figure out what's doing it considering the amount of times i bled them. any input?

[COLOR="Navy"]US Navy Jeep Club Hull# 231[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maritime Offroading Club[/COLOR]
killakeane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Any leaks when you pump the brakes?
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

None, at least none visible. I had a leaky hose that's why I replaced that. The master was fine prior to my hose leak so I don't believe it's the master either.
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone know what's wrong with it?
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad booster if ur pedal is dropping to the floor. There's probably a leak in it sumwhere... It holds air so u won't physically see it, have sumone push the pedal down and put ur head by the booster. If u hear ne whistle type noise or air escaping newhere then it's not doing its job. When u press the pedal down u should feel the pressure build up not release, as it sounds like its doing in ur case.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i don't think its a leak, wouldn't i be loosing fluid from the mc?
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What all did you do to your brakes other than the hose?:
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is a rare chance that the MC could have gone. Yes it did work before you did your line, but maybe a new line, bleeding alot......YJ's are old and temperamental. I would guess booster or MC, only by process of elimination
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakeane
i don't think its a leak, wouldn't i be loosing fluid from the mc?
Not if it's the booster, the booster just holds air. Ur master holds the fluid.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
killakeane
1987 YJ Wrangler 

was talking to my uncle who used to work on cars a lot, he said it's not the booster if it were the booster it would be hard at all times both running and while off, i also talked to my fiances father, who has ground up a few jeeps hot rods etc and he thinks it might be the shoes in the back, ill try rebleeding as well as adjusting the rear shoes with the spoon? i believe thats what it's called - not sure - this will be my first time doing it. i'll let ya'll know what the outcome is when i figure it out, and if i don't well i'll be referring to the forum for more details. thanks for the input so far gents.
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the master cylinder 'sucked air' it now has to be bench bled or you will never get brakes to bleed.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not harping on the leak thing but, clean off the area where you put the new hoses on. Where the hose connects to the hard line and the caliper.
Have someone pump the brakes up. Pump it 3 times then hold. If there is any evidence of brake fluid there is a leak.
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Which way did you bleed the brakes, you are supposed to start at the bleeder furthest from the master and work to the closest. Just a thought.
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's normal, if you have bled off the vacuum of the booster, for the pedal to lower when the engine starts. This is the result of the booster becoming active. Obviously shouldn't go all the way to the floor however, but the usual failure mode of boosters is vacuum leak which would manifest itself in a higher (unboosted) pedal position.

Edited to add: What you are feeling when the vacuum is bled off is the ACTUAL pedal and free play. If that is solid, you do not have a bleeding issue. Once vacuum is applied the servo mechanism allows some degree of travel and converts that travel to valve boost against the master cylinder. The normal mode of failure for boosters is vacuum leak, but if you can shut off your engine and go back 20 minutes later and still have vacuum boost, you don't have much leak.

Mine has a significantly different position from vacuum to no vacuum, actually more that I'd like, but it has always been that way. I don't know if wear on the servo can cause excessively low travel, or that's just the way it is designed... I've never heard a discussion of servo wear other than vacuum leaks.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brakes , help needed , no brakes , soft brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.