Speedometer, Tach, and Cluster Gauges Not Working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer, Tach, and Cluster Gauges Not Working

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
PanthrosRevenge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer, Tach, and Cluster Gauges Not Working

So here's the sad story...

I had to replace my windshield frame after a flop in Death Valley, but after the install my radio and entry lights stopped working. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I got under there and my wiring has been cut and spliced two or three times in some places. I got the cluster dimmer, entry lights and radio working just as the sun was going down, but soon realized that none of my gauges work including speedo and tach. I have lights working of all of em, but they're all dead. I checked the back panel of the cluster and it looked fine. My haynes manual doesn't give a very good wiring diagram at all. I've checked all my fuses and everything seems in working order. Where should I try troubleshooting this thing next?

31X10.5X15 Hitech AT's
2.5" Rubicon Express SD Lift
Midland CB w/ 4' Firestik II
PanthrosRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

These are better than what you have in the Haynes manual - the package has the diagrams from Haynes farther towards the back, but I found that the couple of pages from the front, for the year of the jeep (the year is shown on the bottom of each page), were all I needed when I first got my jeep.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
PanthrosRevenge
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Turns out I pulled a fuse and didn't put it back
31X10.5X15 Hitech AT's
2.5" Rubicon Express SD Lift
Midland CB w/ 4' Firestik II
PanthrosRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
BlueRidgeYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Which fuse? I'm having the same problem in my '92 YJ - instruments all dead. I accidentally caused a short, rectified that, checked all fuses, replaced two blown. Those two were the 40 amp Ign. Sys. and the 10 amp I.O.D., both in the fuse block under the hood. All the ones under the dash were fine. She runs fine, now, but I have no tach., speedo., odometer/trip, service warning/parking brake indic., 4wd indic., fuel gauge, temp. gauge, oil press. gauge, or volt meter. The dash is illuminated just fine, so I have a great view of all these nonfunctioning items, but nothing else back there seems to be getting any juice. If it's relevant, the short was caused by a wire that was sheared by and pinched in the fulcrum of the parking brake upon release. The wire was tapped into the accessory fuse and used to power an inverter. Said inverter was grounded to the firewall. Thanks.
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
BlueRidgeYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

P.S.
Thanks, Alfons, for the schematics.
Unread 06-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
JaxB721

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post
Which fuse? I'm having the same problem in my '92 YJ - instruments all dead. I accidentally caused a short, rectified that, checked all fuses, replaced two blown. Those two were the 40 amp Ign. Sys. and the 10 amp I.O.D., both in the fuse block under the hood. All the ones under the dash were fine. She runs fine, now, but I have no tach., speedo., odometer/trip, service warning/parking brake indic., 4wd indic., fuel gauge, temp. gauge, oil press. gauge, or volt meter. The dash is illuminated just fine, so I have a great view of all these nonfunctioning items, but nothing else back there seems to be getting any juice. If it's relevant, the short was caused by a wire that was sheared by and pinched in the fulcrum of the parking brake upon release. The wire was tapped into the accessory fuse and used to power an inverter. Said inverter was grounded to the firewall. Thanks.
Blueridge- did you ever find out what the problem was with your gauges? I'm having the same problem. All of my lights work, but i have no speedo, tachometer, fuel, temp, oil press, etc. I checked the fuses under the dash and all were fine.
JaxB721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
officialvin

i also am having same problem! checked fuses and they are all good
officialvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
mikey-jeep

shematic

i have the same problem is it possible 1995 electronic vss and speedo to get the speedometer shematic to be able make some jumper or other
idea
mikey-jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
jeep94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a similar problem - all my guages die as described above. I found that the fuse is blowing. I can replace the fuse and all works fine until I hit a bump. I am guessing a wire has been rubbed thru somewhere under the dash. Will this be easy to find? Anyone have a similar issue?

Thanks,

Jeep94yj
jeep94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
RB42b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My speedo and temp guage are not working Can any of you JEEP guys give me any helpsome of the talk looks like it could be a fuse: any tips for a 94 Wrangler
RB42b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Kamshaft
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any experience with this problem in particular, but I would 1.)figure out which fuse runs all the gauges. 2.) pull and check the fuse. 3.) use a test light to check the prongs where the fuse plugs into. (You should have power on one of these two prongs) 4.) take the fuse block assy. loose from it's mounting and inspect the back for water damage, corrosion, etc... paying close attention to the area of the above said fuse wires. Knowing how water leakage from the windshield area can wreak havoc under the dash, I wouldn't be surprised that the wires may be corroded on the back of the fuse block. Just a thought. Let us know if any of you find the problem. Sounds like a common problem by the number of people with the same issue in this thread alone.
Kamshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
AthruC
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely a common problem - my gauges keep blowing.

The fuse to run all of the gauges is in that block under the dash... It's a 15A fuse, labeled "IGN/LPS" and is located on the right side of the block, one up from the bottom.

Not for nothing, my fuse will blow without any of the gauges plugged in, and was working for a bit and then won't last 1/2 a second with the ignition turned now. I'll check the back of the block - didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Also, I'm assuming we should disconnect the battery before doing this, but is there another plug to disconnect to save that step? Thanks.
AthruC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
mtrott
2000 WJ 

I had my tach and speedo, only, go out after a recent battery drain on a cold morning. I jumped the vehicle and it started up, runs fine, everything functional other then tachometer and speedometer. Cruise and Fuel Computer all are functioning fine. The vehicle might be not getting as good fuel economy as normal, but that is hard to determine right now as we have had sub-zero temps here since this problem started. I had not been able to do much trouble shooting yet due to outside weather conditions and was hoping to get some ideas from some of the experienced on the forum to help in my efforts. I am assuming there is not a single fuse supporting just the tach and speedo, but not certain of that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
mtrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
mtrott
2000 WJ 

Problem solved

Just fixed this problem after doing some searching on the web, but didn't find it on this forum so thought I would post the fix.

I found this article http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-.../f_4597426.htm and it was the answer to my problem. I didn't pay close enough to see that the needles had actually dropped below the pegs and hadn't noticed them moving at all, but that was what the problem was and following the instructions at this link solved my problem with 3 minutes of effort.

Thanks
Mark
mtrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
eg889965

Gauges not working.

Driving along and all gauges stopped working. Just quit. Also effected the power windows. They only work with ignition switch in ACC.

Car runs great but no gauges, power windows and AC clutch won't pull in.

All related.

Ignition switch?

Thank you.

Erik Gray

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
eg889965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.