Speedometer quit working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer quit working

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
droopypillow
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer quit working

Stumped. It just stopped working yesterday checked plug at tc everything looks good. Is there a fuse or anything to check. All other gauges are working. Just speedometer and odometer. 94 2.5 5 speed

droopypillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopypillow View Post
Stumped. It just stopped working yesterday checked plug at tc everything looks good. Is there a fuse or anything to check. All other gauges are working. Just speedometer and odometer. 94 2.5 5 speed
It's probably your speedometer sensor on your t case. Just replaced mine today.

ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

With an 87 you are all mechanical if it is stock. Take a close look when you remove the speedo assy from the T-Case and mark it. That plug is eccentric to accomodate other gear sizes and must be put back in properly or you will shread the teeth on the gears. You may have a loose cable into the case or a stripped gear or a bad cable. You are going to have to take something apart to start troubleshooting the problem.

Mark the plug that has the clip or two teeth that hold it in position. It may take a little prying to get it out but the housing and speedo gear will come with it. You can check the speedo head by turning the cable ifyou are lucky you will have enough cable to put in a drill. Have someone watch the speedo in the cab. If all that is good look at the gear is it still got all the teeth with no wear. See how that works the 87 is all mechanical.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
With an 87 you are all mechanical if it is stock. Take a close look when you remove the speedo assy from the T-Case and mark it. That plug is eccentric to accomodate other gear sizes and must be put back in properly or you will shread the teeth on the gears. You may have a loose cable into the case or a stripped gear or a bad cable. You are going to have to take something apart to start troubleshooting the problem.

Mark the plug that has the clip or two teeth that hold it in position. It may take a little prying to get it out but the housing and speedo gear will come with it. You can check the speedo head by turning the cable ifyou are lucky you will have enough cable to put in a drill. Have someone watch the speedo in the cab. If all that is good look at the gear is it still got all the teeth with no wear. See how that works the 87 is all mechanical.
Methinks you missed the last part of the Ops post where it was stated that this is for a '94 2.5L. Either that or the Op edited the original post after your reply. That said, I agree with the first post that this could very well be the VSS on the Transfer case. Either a Bad VSS or it is not properly engaging with the drive gear. If any work has been done to this recently, the it could just be a rotational position issue on how the VSS is installed. If not, the likely a bad VSS. You can try removing the VSS and then driving it with a drill and see if the speedo responds. If it does, then you have a clocking issue with the rotation of the VSS when installed. If not then bad VSS or the other most likely possibility would be a poor connection at the rear of the gauge (corrosion). Power to the speedo shares the same fuse as the other gauges, so this is not a fuse issue.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

There you have it an anser for your 87 and 94.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

another possibility (if it IS a 94... pull the gauge cluster above the steering wheel and check the condition of the ribbon cable (or whatever else it might be called) and the connector... mine worked intermittently for a while, then stopped completely. I didn't worry about it as my tach still worked and I had planned to put in all new Autometers anyway, and I was able to guesstimate speed based on my RPMs.

when I pulled the panels to install the new gauges, the ribbon cable and connector plug was all caked with green corrosion, and when I hooked up the autometer it worked just fine - there was no problem with my sensor at the TC.

if it's not TOO bad, you can usually clean up most corrosion and get it working again by taking it apart and cleaning it the cable and connector with some vinegar and a soft toothbrush, then dry it off good and smear with some dielectric grease to help protect it.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
nerdly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
It's probably your speedometer sensor on your t case. Just replaced mine today.

Would you tell me what each of the wires does? I know one is hot, one is ground, and one is signal. But which is which?
nerdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly View Post

Would you tell me what each of the wires does? I know one is hot, one is ground, and one is signal. But which is which?
I have no idea. I just matched color to color and it worked.
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.