Speedometer quit working - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
droopypillow
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Westchester
Posts: 35
Speedometer quit working

Stumped. It just stopped working yesterday checked plug at tc everything looks good. Is there a fuse or anything to check. All other gauges are working. Just speedometer and odometer. 94 2.5 5 speed

droopypillow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopypillow View Post
Stumped. It just stopped working yesterday checked plug at tc everything looks good. Is there a fuse or anything to check. All other gauges are working. Just speedometer and odometer. 94 2.5 5 speed
It's probably your speedometer sensor on your t case. Just replaced mine today.



ashland82391 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
jokerchief462
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sin City
Posts: 2,881
With an 87 you are all mechanical if it is stock. Take a close look when you remove the speedo assy from the T-Case and mark it. That plug is eccentric to accomodate other gear sizes and must be put back in properly or you will shread the teeth on the gears. You may have a loose cable into the case or a stripped gear or a bad cable. You are going to have to take something apart to start troubleshooting the problem.

Mark the plug that has the clip or two teeth that hold it in position. It may take a little prying to get it out but the housing and speedo gear will come with it. You can check the speedo head by turning the cable ifyou are lucky you will have enough cable to put in a drill. Have someone watch the speedo in the cab. If all that is good look at the gear is it still got all the teeth with no wear. See how that works the 87 is all mechanical.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 AM
idaholtby
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Meridian
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
With an 87 you are all mechanical if it is stock. Take a close look when you remove the speedo assy from the T-Case and mark it. That plug is eccentric to accomodate other gear sizes and must be put back in properly or you will shread the teeth on the gears. You may have a loose cable into the case or a stripped gear or a bad cable. You are going to have to take something apart to start troubleshooting the problem.

Mark the plug that has the clip or two teeth that hold it in position. It may take a little prying to get it out but the housing and speedo gear will come with it. You can check the speedo head by turning the cable ifyou are lucky you will have enough cable to put in a drill. Have someone watch the speedo in the cab. If all that is good look at the gear is it still got all the teeth with no wear. See how that works the 87 is all mechanical.
Methinks you missed the last part of the Ops post where it was stated that this is for a '94 2.5L. Either that or the Op edited the original post after your reply. That said, I agree with the first post that this could very well be the VSS on the Transfer case. Either a Bad VSS or it is not properly engaging with the drive gear. If any work has been done to this recently, the it could just be a rotational position issue on how the VSS is installed. If not, the likely a bad VSS. You can try removing the VSS and then driving it with a drill and see if the speedo responds. If it does, then you have a clocking issue with the rotation of the VSS when installed. If not then bad VSS or the other most likely possibility would be a poor connection at the rear of the gauge (corrosion). Power to the speedo shares the same fuse as the other gauges, so this is not a fuse issue.
idaholtby is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM
jokerchief462
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sin City
Posts: 2,881
There you have it an anser for your 87 and 94.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
SeanB95YJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Schenectady
Posts: 1,182
another possibility (if it IS a 94... pull the gauge cluster above the steering wheel and check the condition of the ribbon cable (or whatever else it might be called) and the connector... mine worked intermittently for a while, then stopped completely. I didn't worry about it as my tach still worked and I had planned to put in all new Autometers anyway, and I was able to guesstimate speed based on my RPMs.

when I pulled the panels to install the new gauges, the ribbon cable and connector plug was all caked with green corrosion, and when I hooked up the autometer it worked just fine - there was no problem with my sensor at the TC.

if it's not TOO bad, you can usually clean up most corrosion and get it working again by taking it apart and cleaning it the cable and connector with some vinegar and a soft toothbrush, then dry it off good and smear with some dielectric grease to help protect it.

Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM
nerdly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nowhere really
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
It's probably your speedometer sensor on your t case. Just replaced mine today.



Would you tell me what each of the wires does? I know one is hot, one is ground, and one is signal. But which is which?
nerdly is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 PM
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly View Post

Would you tell me what each of the wires does? I know one is hot, one is ground, and one is signal. But which is which?
I have no idea. I just matched color to color and it worked.
ashland82391 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome