Speedometer question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
kirok
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer question

So I have a 89 YJ with a V-8 conversion with a non-working speedometer or tach. The speedometer cable is not hooked up to the tranfercase. Bought it that way. I noticed that the tranfercase looks to be from a later model Wrangler. It has the VSS connection. I have the old mechanical speedometer cable. The VSS connector/plug is missing. As I have tried to research the adaption of mechanical to digital, there seems to be a wide variety of options. I am trying to figure the simplest way to do so? Does anybody have any experience with this? Not sure why the previous owner did not complete the changeover. Lack of funding or some other reason. Everything else with the conversion was spot on. The tach I can explore later. Appreciate the help.

kirok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my transfer case with a newer style and it had the electrical speedo, i simply removed the electrical sensor and replaced with the mechanical one. BUT kept the same plastic gear out of the electronic one.
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the swap from digital to mechanical is really simply. basically one bolt holds each of the sensors in. Just take the digital sensor off and find a tcase from a junkyard with the mechanical and swap components. I will be doing the same swap here for my jeep soon.
Schaef81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
kirok
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cool....sounds too simple.LOL Can I ask if there was any bouncing with the stock speedo? I guess just having the thing work is fine. Appreciate all of your help.
kirok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine bounces up to about 35 mph, then it levels off.

Don't know why don't care just glad it works
bogleparsons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.