Speedometer problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer problem

just on my drive home yesterday my speedometer started to asct up. it works till about 25mph then it bounces around like nuts. i mean ill be going prob 30 but it bounces to 90 then 60 back to 80 etc. its just bouncing everywhere. however, when i coast in neutral, it works just fine. anyone know whats wrong?

mikes95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
TheBootlegger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe your Vehicle Speed Sensor has gone bad. Check on the driver's side of the t-case, there is a thing with wires going out, and the said thing (VSS) is held by one or two 10mm bolts if I remember correctly. remove bolts, the speedo gear should come out with it, if there are missing groves or it's badly worn, replace it. If it's good, then it might be your speedometer guage or wiring. If you need to replace the gear here's a chart I seem to be posting everyday LOL: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-46.htm

TheBootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bootlegger called it. Our 95's have the electronic speedo. If it is acting crazy like that you either have a bad speed sensor or a loose connection somewhere. Check to make sure the plug at the speed sensor did not come loose. All so check for codes. That VSS wont always set one but sometimes it will. It is not a hardcode though so it wont turn the light on.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

alright thanks guys ill be sure to check that out as soon as i can
mikes95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.