Speedometer problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer problem

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
gorbachev
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer problem

My Speedometer has a 10 mph bounce to it. No matter what my speed is the needle is always bouncing.

gorbachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to pull the cable out of the tcase and check the gear. If the gear is good then it sounds like you are dealing with a bad cable or guage. Take the end of the cable and put it in a drill and spin it and see if you still get the bounce. Start with the cable next if you do. There is a guy that parts out Jeeps here in Michigan. He is on the other side of the state from you but if the cable and gear are good then you want to get in touch with him for the Speedo. PM me and I will help you out with his info.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Check the rotation of your speedo gear. Meaning it must be installed in the proper orientation (rotationally) to match the tooth count of your speedo gear. If you look closely enough, there are markings on the TC housing were the gear installs that correlate to different tooth counts for the speedo gear. If the rotation is off, the gears will not mesh properly and can cause this very issue.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...r-sye-1076518/
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.