speedometer plug in on 92 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > speedometer plug in on 92 4.0

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

speedometer plug in on 92 4.0

I am doing a 4.0 swap on my 90 wrangler and installing the dash gauges etc. out of the 92 donor jeep. Does anything plug into the speedometer side of the tach speedometer cluster. I plugged the main harness into the tach side. there is a little hole in the center of the back of the speedometer that looks like something could plug in there. I can't seem to find a plug under my dash to fit it though. It doesn't look like its for a cable either as I understand that 92s don't use a cable. I am using all the 4.0s wiring as well so if something goes there I should have it, just need to locate it. As of now I have only one plug going into the sped tach cluster. I still have two plugs dangling under the steering column that I can't remember what they go to. they don't seem to go to the sped, tach though. also, how many plugins should there be behind the engine gauge cluster. I only saw one when I put it back together but these extra plugs make me wonder. They are probably just blank plugs because I marked everything that I unplugged in the disassembly that wasn't obvious as to where they go.

Thanks for any help

acat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure there was only one for the speedo/tach cluster and then another one for the other gauge cluster. There may be other plugs ther for factory fog lights and the wiper and heater for the hard top if the donor jeep had that stuff.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The tub harness for the 92 has a different connection to the tach/speedo grouping than what you have on your harness. There are also differences in the wiring/fusing between the two tub harnesses, including differences in the pinouts for the bulkhead connection from the engine harness to the fusebox.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I switched out all wiring. I have no 2.5 liter wiring remaining in the jeep.
acat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you changed all the wiring, the 92 tub harness has a connector that looks like this picture - it plugs into the back of that assembly. It provides the power and signal to the tack, speedo, "idiot lights", etc.

Unread 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
bustednuckles
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
If you changed all the wiring, the 92 tub harness has a connector that looks like this picture - it plugs into the back of that assembly. It provides the power and signal to the tack, speedo, "idiot lights", etc.

is the 2 ignition feed wires the ones that give power to the speedo and tach? i'm confused on wiring my swap. are they 12 volt?
bustednuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 Jeep wiring was all 12 volt with the exception of signal wires which would typically be some voltage less than 12 if the sender was a resistor of some variety or it could be a pulse train from other sensors.

The two "Ignition Feed" lines would be providing 12 volts for 2 different circuits in that physical grouping. This is a picture of the source of those two wires (if you have the original 92 harness, these 2 "feed" wires are part of that harness.).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.