Speedometer not working - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedometer not working

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
ThunderGod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Speedometer not working

A few weeks ago my speedometer stopped working. I looked up what might be the problem and came across that the speed sensor might be bad. I replaced it and it still wasn't working. One day when I was driving it decides to start working again and hasn't worked since. I checked the speed gear which is fine. Today I took the speedometer out which is one cluster with the tachometer and saw that on the back of the speedometer it had some corrosion on the electrical strip. So I'm thinking it has a sort. My question is can I get a replacement part somewhere or can I install new gauges and how difficult would it be to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

first thing I would do is remove the speedometer gear from the transfer..grab a drill (cordless or otherwise) and with the key in the on position spin the gear and all and see if your speedo works. If it does then the problem is not in the speedo head. Post your findings after you test it.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try cleaning up the corrosion on the strip.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
ThunderGod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be sure to try that and I tried cleaning off the corrosion the best I could still didn't work
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try what Mark said first with the drill. Are you sure the sensor is in correctly? Did you try clocking the sensor?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Q this is why I do the drill method first. If the upstream works its got to be clocked wrong. If it doesnt work then it could be other things but its easier to figure out with the jeep sitting still

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
rpenczek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Um, not sure, but don't think there is a mechnical speedo gear on a 95 (its electronic). I bet the PC board on the speedo is corroded. Search this forum on how to fix the PC board. The guage cluster is easy to remove (very easy) and if you are lucky, you just need to use a pencil eraser to "erase" the corrosion off the circuit lines on the board.

If you erase too hard or your corrosion is too much, you may need to repair the copper lines on the board. You can get a liquid (in waht looks like a big ball point pen) at Radio Shack that will do the trick (its a liquid that when dry repairs copper lines and conducts electricity).

If you are not successful in fixing the board, you can find new ("used") gaugue units on ebay, they run between $75 and $150. You can no longer purchase the cluster new and you can't purchase the pc board either.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Opihi has a good pic of clocking it:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...30/index2.html

Yep, you need to clock all them. Yes, the drill first. You test everything by doing the drill.
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
ThunderGod
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mark I tried what you said the speedometer didn't move you said turn the key on does my jeep need to be running? Now since I tried cleaning off the corrosion when I turn my headlights on the left turn signal stays lite up not blinking on the dash when I turn the headlights off it will blink on the dash but the turn signal bulbs aren't lighting up so like I said before I could have a short I might try what you suggested rpenczek trying to fix the copper lines on the board.
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ThunderGod If the speedometer didnt move when you spun the drill (Im guessing you spun it in both directions) with the key on then you could have corrosion at the speedometer, broken wire between the ribbon connector or a bad VCC. You will have to check those out with a meter.

rpenczek, even though the speedometer is electronic it still has a speedometer gear just like a mechanical one would. The drill test is the best way to rule out a clocking problem and test while the jeep is stationary.

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Next is to check power at the VSS with the key on you should see:

Blue ECU pin47 = Signal
Brn/Red ECU pin 4 = Ground
Wht/Blk ECU pin 7 = 8VDC power

The output/signal is a square wave and is difficult to check with a digital multimeter but not impossible. If you read the 8vdc on the sensor connector next back probe the signal pin in the connector and hook one meter lead to the pin and the other to a ground wire hooked up to chasis. Set your meter up to read Vdc. Very very slowly turn the gear and watch for the pulsing on the voltage readings on the meter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.