Speedo gear swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Speedo gear swap.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Bobbywolf

Speedo gear swap.

Ok, I did some searching before posting this. I'm looking to correct my speedometer because I am now reading WAY over what I am actually traveling now that I swapped to 4.11 gears. This means it will look like I am putting on more miles, than I really am, so I want to correct this.

According to several sources I need a 36 tooth gear to bring myself back upto par. However, for the year of my jeep (90) there isn't a 36 tooth gear listed. According to sources ( http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/speedo-gear-250875/ ) This chart is wrong ( http://www.gotjeep.net/speedo.html ), but they list all of the correct part numbers. No 36 tooth gear is listed for a 90. Would I be safe ordering one for a 91-93 jeep since it is still a long shaft gear? Or should I order the short shaft version and swap the plastic gear over to my original shaft?

Last edited by Bobbywolf; 07-23-2006 at 09:02 PM..
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
cueball

part # J321 2736 Red 36 tooth speedo gear for 87-90 (long shaft).. it is in the parts manuals for a cherokee.. but i went to a junkyard and found one from an 85 xj with a 242 (i think).. but the 242, 229, 231 take the same gear. simple plug and play.

i must have checked around 20 xjs and i got lucky.. now if you can settle on the speedo being slightly off, a lot of xjs come with a 35 tooth.. i only paid a buck for my speed gear.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ighlight=tooth

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
Bobbywolf

Thanks man! Looks like the website just omitted the 36 tooth version. I'll be chatting with my dealer tomorrow to see if they can get it, and what kind of price.
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Bobbywolf

Called the dealer here, and that number has been superceded by part number52068158. About $38, and a week to order it in. Oh well, atleast I will get it eventually

Little more pricy than I would have thought but oh well.
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
racer35

I went to a dealer and 25 bucks and was here in two days. dealer is the best place to get wat you want. open it to make sure its a long or a short whick ever one you need,
racer35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Bobbywolf

Why always me? The things that start out being so simple, always go horribly wrong....

Ok, since you need to order parts in person, I got my father to drop by, and gave him the number 52068158 to give the parts guy. I find out from my father afterwards, that part number corresponds to a green 34 tooth gear! I'm supposed to be getting a RED 36 tooth! $38 is lots of money to spend on a gear that gets me speed 'kinda' close.

Since it is a special order item, I cannot return it. NOTHING is ever as simple as it should be...
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
cueball

i would talk to the manager there.. if they gave you the wrong cross reference #, then they should let you return it. but honestly for $38, i would have just gotten a 35 tooth from the junkyard (they are common) and be of a percent or two.

Hello to the New - 1999 TJ Sport 4.0L auto.. stock for now
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
Bobbywolf

Did some googling, and aparently the cross reference he gave (and I ordered) is good. It comes out to a 36 tooth red gear. The guy who ordered it thought it was a 34 for some reason, but it looks like I'll be getting the right one afterall.

As for going to the junkyards, I wish. There are zero jeeps of any make in any junkyards in eastern canada. They are immediatly bought up as parts vehicles by other jeepers who are lucky enough to get ahold of a wreck. I may have been able to get one from someone in the local jeep club, but it would be hit or miss.

I paid a bit more, but at least it will be the right part. Also that was canadian dollars, so it is closer to $25US or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.